Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Door Latch help

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 carver montego 528

Door Latch help

Postby C0ps » April 7th, 2023, 4:28 pm

Can someone please tell me how to go about putting a lock on this hatch door? original is missing and Id like it to be able to lock when I walk away from the boat. Carver Montego 528

dice game google

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Door Latch help

Postby g36 » April 8th, 2023, 12:36 pm

I dont know what was original .Would something like this plunger style lock work?....https://a.co/d/1SfPxug
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby C0ps » April 8th, 2023, 4:47 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post I dont know what was original .Would something like this plunger style lock work?....https://a.co/d/1SfPxug

good idea but wont work. you would easily be able to push the panel inward so the plunger slips out. and the body of the keylock wont fit between the two panels

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 8th, 2023, 5:07 pm

Does that back panel just lift out....do you have a pic from the other direction. It would be interesting to see the original....likely was a Perko thing of some sort.

Actually if someone wants in none of these things will even slow them down......have you considered a hasp and padlock like some sailors have on their entry hatches....keeps the honest folk out.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 8th, 2023, 5:14 pm

Actually if someone wants in none of these things will even slow them down......have you considered a hasp and padlock like some sailors have on their entry hatches....keeps the honest folk out.... :-D

Like keys on a boat, what a joke. Give me 5 minutes and I will start the engine/s. Have helped a few at the marina who could not find their keys. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
benica
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Aft cabin. 7.4 engines.

Postby benica » April 8th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post

Like keys on a boat, what a joke. Give me 5 minutes and I will start the engine/s. Have helped a few at the marina who could not find their keys. :-D

A lock is for one thing; keep an honest man honest..

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby C0ps » April 10th, 2023, 3:00 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Does that back panel just lift out....do you have a pic from the other direction. It would be interesting to see the original....likely was a Perko thing of some sort.

the top just swings up and down while the door opens with a fold in the middle.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 11th, 2023, 10:04 am

That sounds like it would be tricky to lock effectively......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 11th, 2023, 11:49 am

C0ps wrote:
g36 wrote:Source of the post I dont know what was original .Would something like this plunger style lock work?....https://a.co/d/1SfPxug

good idea but wont work. you would easily be able to push the panel inward so the plunger slips out. and the body of the keylock wont fit between the two panels

Are you sure about that part? You'd be pushing against the frame of the door on the right (stbd) side, so it shouldn't move much at all.

If it's like the doors that I'm aware of, all you're trying to do is stop the top from opening. Without the top up, there is no clearance for the bi-fold door to open.

What's the actual gap between the two pieces when it's all closed up? That plunger-style might work if you put some kind of bushing on the front face so it doesn't go so deep into the hole.

How thick are both the pieces of door? (The top and the bi-fold part)

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby C0ps » April 11th, 2023, 7:17 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
C0ps wrote:

Are you sure about that part? You'd be pushing against the frame of the door on the right (stbd) side, so it shouldn't move much at all.

If it's like the doors that I'm aware of, all you're trying to do is stop the top from opening. Without the top up, there is no clearance for the bi-fold door to open.

What's the actual gap between the two pieces when it's all closed up? That plunger-style might work if you put some kind of bushing on the front face so it doesn't go so deep into the hole.

How thick are both the pieces of door? (The top and the bi-fold part)

The pieces are about 3/8 to 1/2 thick. the space between them is about 5/8. the plunger cant work because as you raise the top section up, the plunger would just slip out. their would have to be a way to hook the inside of the hole. Would love to see another 528 carver with the original but Im exhausted at looking at for sale pictures of similar style boats

Return to “General Boating Discussion”