Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stuck packing nut

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Jay Fusaro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 445 Aft Cabin

Stuck packing nut

Postby Jay Fusaro » August 18th, 2023, 3:57 pm

Hi guys, we have a 1998 445 with Cummins Diesel‘s and the starboard shaft was dripping about once every two seconds even while the engines were not running. Had a mechanic attempt to tighten the packing nut a little bit and he said it would not budge. Does anyone have any experience with what to do in the situation? I assume the boat should be pulled to deal with this? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Stuck packing nut

Postby bud37 » August 18th, 2023, 4:49 pm

Geez did the guy offer any opinion on why or just give up ?

It could simply be the packing is worn, nut is bottomed and the packing needs to be replaced.....old out and new in.....can be done in the water. Hopefully the shaft is still smooth ( no gouges or nicks etc ) and if it cleans up good with the right packing adjusted properly you can get it quite dry. I'm still astounded he couldn't do anything to resolve even temporarily. Anyhow good luck with your repair.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Jay Fusaro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jay Fusaro » August 18th, 2023, 5:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. According to the mechanic, they exerted a pretty good amount of force on the nut and we’re a little nervous about using any additional force with the boat in the water. That’s why I’m seeking input so I can make a more informed decision, if the boat needs to be pulled or not.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 18th, 2023, 5:59 pm

Aha , I see now.

Were they were trying to loosen as well though and the thing is stuck to the locking nut/ring or just does not turn at all ? Tough to tell not being there and getting eyes on it.

I am sure viper will have done this many many more times than I have.....never had one right stuck like that.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 19th, 2023, 7:26 am

If it's that bad, go to the lift and get slings under the boat just as a safety measure. Doesn't have to be hauled but should something go wrong, at least it's a matter of minutes to get her out. Not all tubes are righty-tighty, some are reverse thread, so this is something they need to consider. Sometimes all you need are bigger tools with longer handles or add a bar for leverage!! If there is no room to swing anything long, ping the JAM nut and try to get it to turn away from the packing nut by using a punch or chisel with a heavy mallet on one or more corners of the nut to try and break it free. Once the jam nut is free from the packing nut, it may be easier to break the packing nut free. Either way, it's important that the jam nut needs to be loosened first. You can also apply a product ahead of time that's designed to help loosen fasteners frozen in place, heck a little diesel works pretty good for that, just let it sit for a while or overnight. You can also try applying heat, just make sure you keep the hose end cool, usually pouring water on a rag wrapped around the tube is good enough for that. Worst case scenario is having to split the nut/nuts and replace or replace them and the tube assembly. At that point, it would be best to replace them with a dripless system if your budget allows. Where there's a will and $$, there's always a way ;-)

Jay Fusaro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jay Fusaro » August 19th, 2023, 8:28 am

Outstanding advice, Viper! I really appreciate it and I will pass this along to the mechanic. Fingers crossed, checkbook handy. :-O

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 19th, 2023, 9:28 am

... Not all tubes are righty-tighty, some are reverse thread, so this is something they need to consider. ...

^^^THIS, and having the appropriate tools are the big things

Return to “General Boating Discussion”