Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Blowers

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Blowers

Postby pepmyster » September 22nd, 2023, 8:30 am

Morning fellow boaters! I’ve been wondering for awhile now about engine blowers. I’m very regimented on using them prior to starting for sure. Why would Carver wire them to be always on when ignition switch is on. Sometimes I turn them off not just because of the power grab they do but it makes the vessel so much quieter when docking. Any thoughts?

United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Re: Blowers

Postby kgarguilo » November 20th, 2023, 6:44 pm

Looks like no one responded. I have a 406 and I have a seperate switch on the helm, not tied to the ignition. Like you, I use the blowers religiously and keep them running all the time unless I am running well above idle speed. Hope this helps.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » November 21st, 2023, 7:09 am

Mine stay on the moment the ignition switch is on. Separate control switches on helm if not turned on by ignition. Just trying to understand why.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 21st, 2023, 10:16 am

If you have an automatic engine shutdown module installed with your engine compartment fire extinguishing system, it can also be used any time you want to utilize relays to control auxiliary hardware. If they're installed for engine shutdown, they're often used to automatically turn on blowers as well. Do you know if your application has one of these? A popular brand is Fireboy-Xintex. There would be a round gauge sized control (Fireboy-Xintex) at the helm and a black box usually behind or under the helm. If you like having complete manual control of your blower, you can bypass the controller.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 21st, 2023, 2:29 pm

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Mine stay on the moment the ignition switch is on. Separate control switches on helm if not turned on by ignition. Just trying to understand why.

Do you run the blowers before you start the engines and then turn them off while docking with those extra switches ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » November 21st, 2023, 2:35 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post If you have an automatic engine shutdown module installed with your engine compartment fire extinguishing system, it can also be used any time you want to utilize relays to control auxiliary hardware. If they're installed for engine shutdown, they're often used to automatically turn on blowers as well. Do you know if your application has one of these? A popular brand is Fireboy-Xintex. There would be a round gauge sized control (Fireboy-Xintex) at the helm and a black box usually behind or under the helm. If you like having complete manual control of your blower, you can bypass the controller.

Yes I have the Fireboy system. The controller is behind the dash. I'll cancel it from turning on my blowers when not wanted. Thanks!

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » November 21st, 2023, 2:36 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Mine stay on the moment the ignition switch is on. Separate control switches on helm if not turned on by ignition. Just trying to understand why.

Do you run the blowers before you start the engines and then turn them off while docking with those extra switches ?

Thats what I want to do, but as Viper mentioned, the Fireboy controller is what is leaving them on all time. Annoying....

Return to “General Boating Discussion”