Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winter decision

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
pwillis@mail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Winter decision

Postby pwillis@mail.com » November 17th, 2023, 3:20 pm

So I decided to stay in the water for the winter. I have a 1999 Carver 406 Aft Cabin, and I'm located on the Sassafras River near the top of the Chesapeake Bay. The plan is to stay on the boat certain weekends and keep it plugged in at the marina. They will run bubblers. My questions to all of you are these. Totally winterize? Water system, heat pumps, engines like I would if I pulled it out? Or, just keep the heat on with the heat pumps or some space heaters? (I'm not living on the boat. It's just an escape). Or, what minimally can I do to enjoy the solitude of my boat in winter without worrying about freeze damage? Your guidance and opinions are appreciated!
1999 Carver 406 Aft Cabin

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Winter decision

Postby km1125 » November 17th, 2023, 3:30 pm

You really might want to talk to some local folks for recommendations. I'd be surprised if the heat pumps would do much when the water temp gets low, so it might be better to winterize those (really, just blow the water out through the system). If you don't need the shower or sinks while you're visiting, then it might be a good idea to blow the potable system empty too. That way both those systems aren't at risk if you get a cold snap and can't get out to the boat.

Are your engines raw water or freshwater cooled?

If you plan on staying on the boat overnight, you might consider a heated blanket. I was surprised how much of a difference that made in the early and late seasons when we stayed on the boat. You don't have to get the whole boat 'cozy warm' to still be comfortable.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 17th, 2023, 7:02 pm

I can speak to my 405 and what I do but I'm in Tennessee i do leave my boat in and do not winterize anything except i disconnect the anchor locker washdown supply in the bilge. And i have made a water shutoff for the sundeck sink/icemaker( so i can still use my boat fresh water for everything else when there,) i will blow this supply clear of water.... But read on. First how far are you from your boat? Are you close or get there pretty quick? Just in case? I am 5 minutes from my marina. I have 2 bilge heaters. One in engine room the other in the aftbilge area under the bed near the fuel tanks. One bilge heater won't get to all the areas needed. I made snap on engine vent covers. I have a wifi camera setup and also wifi thermometers that I can manually check and monitor temps in the bilges and living areas in the boat whenever I want. If the dock internet goes out for long and it's really really cold I'm driving to the boat. I can control my hvac units via wifi also but they dont do much when the water gets below around 40. I use in the living area a couple oil radiator type heaters mounted to metal flat auto oil change pans so there's no way they can turn over one forward one at the aft cabin door also my marina is pretty calm.. i will open some doors in galley and the head areas so they are exposed to heat also.These heaters are controlled via a remote plug in digital thermostat and are set at 45 when im not there. I've had this setup for many years without any problems. Maybe you can get some ideas from this, or in your place these methods may not work.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 18th, 2023, 8:23 am

Hello, I am just down river at skipjack.
I do not keep my boat in the water, but i will offer some advice.
I would winterize just as you do when you pull the boat.
Heat pumps remove heat from the water to heat your boat. When the incoming water is 32 degrees or less, there isn't much heat to remove, and what is removed will cause the water to freeze in your condenser if the unit does not shut off on low pressure first. So don't count on using them in Late December and January. For the domestic water, most of the lines run in parts off the boat that are unheated and usually are strapped to the hull sides in various places, so they will be at the same temp as outside the hull. For the engines, if fresh water cooled you only have to worry about the raw water side. Again this is all in the bilge in unheated space, so you are at risk of freezing manifolds, raw water pump, lines and mufflers.
And you of course can't count on the power never going out over the winter.
Maybe I am just too paranoid!

Great Britain
Aflix
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 33 '92
Aqua Fiber 42 1976

Postby Aflix » November 18th, 2023, 7:27 pm

Hi All....Im, in Nashville at Rock Harbor. I am also keeping the boat in the water as a live aboard, whether I am here or not. My house is only 15 minutes away - I have full intention to use the boat as much as possible through the winter...thoughts?

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » November 19th, 2023, 9:25 am

Aflix wrote:Source of the post Hi All....Im, in Nashville at Rock Harbor. I am also keeping the boat in the water as a live aboard, whether I am here or not. My house is only 15 minutes away - I have full intention to use the boat as much as possible through the winter...thoughts?

Im ijust north of chattanooga, Did you read my post above? Ways to monitor it via wifi. Imo keeping the boat in the water over winter can be done in certain places. If you have some safeguards in place to either monitor it continuously or winterize parts of it but there's always some risk. We don't get the extended cold like up north so imo Tennessee winter is easy enough to do.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
mjmason1
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 530

Postby mjmason1 » November 19th, 2023, 7:19 pm

We are full time live aboards. We are in a very protected marina. We don't winterize anything. We have 2 bilge safe heaters for the engine compartment. This also keeps our water system in service. I shut off the bridge sink and front washdown. Every week or two we refill our water tank. (the marina has frost free spigots) We shower on the boat. Last year we used our reverse cycle all winter. If it gets real cold we'll use some electric heat. We shrink wrap clear and have a storm door. I would definitely get advice from boaters in your area.

Topic author United States of America
pwillis@mail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Postby pwillis@mail.com » November 26th, 2023, 8:10 am

Thank you to all who commented on my post about staying in the water this winter. Here's the update. I purchased on Facebook Marketplace, 2 bildge/engine compartment heaters. I put one in the engine compartment and one under the bed where the fresh water tank is. I purchased 2 oil filled radiator heaters and set them at 60 degrees. I guess I'm trusting that the power will never go out for an extended period of time. I only live about 10 minutes from the boat, so I will check on it regularly. I'm currently replacing the carpet throughout the bedroom and main salon, so I need the temps to be above 50 degrees so the mastic will stick. I found a really great deal on rubber backed carpet squares at the Middletown Re-Store, which is a store that supports Habitat for Humanity locally. Lots of cutting to do, but it's a low pile carpet with some sound deadening effects. I'll post pictures once I'm finished. For my friend from Skipjacks, Georgetown Yacht Haven has been awesome this year. The people are really nice and they have helped me a great deal as I learn about boating and this way of life!!! Happy Holidays everyone!
1999 Carver 406 Aft Cabin

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » November 26th, 2023, 10:51 am

Pwillis, , a suggestion,, if your going to continue onboard water useage you will need to address the sundeck ice maker/sink. Its water line feeds up on Port side and then under the step and is exposed to freezing there behind the icemaker and below the sink. On my 405 i installed a water valve and tee and then disconnect the ice maker water line at the ice maker water solenoid and then blow out the line to it and the sink since it tees back there. I cut a access hatch in the salon behind the couch on my boat and installed my valve where the water won't flow outside anymore when it's closed and it can't freeze. I can now use water on the boat as usual with not worrying about it freezing.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 26th, 2023, 11:57 am

Pwillis - be careful about your choice for carpeting. The boat environment is always pretty damp, so rubber backed carpet can get mildew/mold really quick. I made that mistake on a previous boat and the Admiral made me rip it out and start over. She has a million candle power nose, and could smell mold in less than a season. Thought I would mention this before all the cutting begins. Also, check around for your heating strategy. See if other boaters are leaving heat sources on, as well as the storage owners policy. Google boat fires started by heating appliances for resource. Good luck. Great vessel! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Boating Discussion”