Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stern Thruster for 42' 406 aft cabin

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
One Moor Time
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 406 with Cummins 330's

Stern Thruster for 42' 406 aft cabin

Postby One Moor Time » March 19th, 2024, 5:49 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a 2001 Carver 406 42' aft cabin with Cummins 330's operating in the Chesapeake Bay. She has been a great boat, and we have enjoyed her touring the bay. I have been able to back into most slips we have visited except, of course, mine. It is a 45' slip with full finger piers (which is nice), but it has no pylons on the ends. It is 16' wide for a 14' beam boat, so there is not a lot of room for error. Backing in, I am completely blind to where the finger piers are. As a result, I am paying $3,000 this year fix all the scars and scuffs I have made over the last 3 years. The biggest problem occurs if it is windy since the boat has so much windage or there is a current. It can make returning to the slip a bad end to a good day...
I have 2 questions for the forum:
I recently read about crossing the helm to move the boat sideways-if you want to slide it to stbd, turn the helm to port, reverse stbd engine, and put port engine forward. It seems to work for some, but comments from others are that it has not worked for them no matter the variations they try. The boat is scheduled to go in the water in a few weeks, so I will try, but I am curious if anyone has had experience with a 406/similar boat.
Depending on how option 1 goes, I am contemplating a stern thruster. I don't have a problem swinging the bow with the engines, but being able to move the stern to align to the slip would make docking a lot easier. There are several companies that make them, and I would appreciate any input on other's experience or knowledge.
Any and all comments appreciated.
Buck

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Stern Thruster for 42' 406 aft cabin

Postby Viper » March 19th, 2024, 10:05 pm

Contact Imtra at https://www.imtra.com/products/sleipner. They will tell you exactly what you need for your particular model, and because it's a stern thruster and you don't have to install a tunnel through the hull as required for a bow thruster, it's a DIY project if you have the basic stills required.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » March 20th, 2024, 9:04 am

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you considered something like the pic below to add to your slip corners to protect your boat? If you have your own personal slip, many marinas will let you add them. Just an idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
Max Sand
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Postby Max Sand » March 26th, 2024, 9:41 pm

I'm getting a new to me 530, and the first thing I'm adding is a stern thruster. Although the 530 Voyager has a camera setup to see the aft corners, I"m still not a good enough captain to fit in my 17' slip reliably. I've chosen the ST350 thruster for my application: https://shop-us.sideshift.com/products/ ... n-thruster

There are other units avail, I chose this one as it installs on a pylon and the mounting will be above the waterline. This means I can likely DIY install and save about $9000 on cost for labor. I'm pretty handy, and an electrical engineer, so the hook up should be pretty basic.

I need to single-hand the docking as my wife isn't very handy with that stuff. Having a lot of windage means I'll need all the help I can get. I might even get some of those corner rollers as well, just to be extra safe.
Aaaarrrrggghhhh, avast matey!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”