Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3007 aft cabin & fishing???

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
PCOMT
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "BRAKSPEAR"
1981 3007 Aft Cabin

3007 aft cabin & fishing???

Postby PCOMT » June 30th, 2014, 8:06 am

I read a comment in another post indicating it might not be possible to fish from an Aft Cabin model. Is this the case?

We want to cruise up and down the western BC coast from Vancouver to Alaska and of course fish as we go. I suspect we will want to do some prawning as well.

Is the roof of the aft cabin strong enough to support walking on?

There is a tender and I see the ladder to the swim step, so I assumed that there is walking area on the deck over the aft cabin. Is this the case?

Can I expect the swim step to be submerged under normal load and slow speeds?

We have not visited the boat yet so we do not have reference to what is actually there. The pictures we have are from an ad and the unit we are looking at has canvas around the rails, making it hard to see what is there.

Any and all feedback is gratefully accepted:

Thanks

Peter
Peter

Retired, but not tired, Looking forward to getting out there!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 3007 aft cabin & fishing???

Postby waybomb » June 30th, 2014, 1:39 pm

I am not a fisherguy. But I do know fishermen want to be at the water level, thus, a cockpit, The aft cabin roof is plenty strong for people, but you'd be way off the water
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author Canada
PCOMT
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "BRAKSPEAR"
1981 3007 Aft Cabin

Re: 3007 aft cabin & fishing???

Postby PCOMT » June 30th, 2014, 4:10 pm

That would be OK for the smaller fish, I expect I will have to get down onto the swin step for some of the bigger fish.

I suspect I will need a long handle on my net or even a gaff to land any fish of size. Or I could fish from the dingy as long as it is tied to the boat. If I were to tie into a 30-50 pounder, I suspect it would tow the dingy around pretty easily... While fun, it could be scary as well.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!
Peter

Retired, but not tired, Looking forward to getting out there!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”