Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3007 fuel consumption

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
PCOMT
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "BRAKSPEAR"
1981 3007 Aft Cabin

3007 fuel consumption

Postby PCOMT » June 30th, 2014, 8:26 am

:help: We are looking at a 1981 3007 aft cabin and I have a lot of questions which I hope to find answers from this forum. Please bear with me as I ask what might seem to be simple questions.

The unit we are looking for has a pair of V6 Crusaders based on the Pontiac 3.8 litre gasoline engines. Looking at the spec sheet it indicates fuel consumption to be about 1.5 Gals/hour at 6 MPH. (I assume this is US Gals) is this measurement per engine or 2 engines?

Our plans are to 'putter' up the coast, not cruise at higher speeds. Would it be more economical to use one engine a slightly higher RPM or 2 engines at low RPMs?

Is there any issues 'idling' the engines for extended periods of time, such as 8 hours a day during a slow cruise? If so, what would a minimum RPM to shoot for to mitigate these issues?

In my youth when we used to work on cars, we used to say thing like "Blow the carbon out of her". I don't really subscribe to this action, but there may be truth in it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Peter
Peter

Retired, but not tired, Looking forward to getting out there!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”