Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

gasket on flybridge steering?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
Abear
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 3207 aft cabin

gasket on flybridge steering?

Postby Abear » August 20th, 2014, 6:20 pm

I own a great 3207 that has been in my family since 86. My only concern is my flybridge steering is leaking hydraulic fluid from the front of the console. I undid the bolts, thinking I needed to find a bleed valve. Since this, it leaks. Is there a gasket or should I just make my own?

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: gasket on flybridge steering?

Postby g36 » August 21st, 2014, 7:26 am

need to know more about the leak and what brand of steering pump and model of it. could be teleflex brand or? is the leak is coming out of the shaft of the steering pump behind the steering wheel or the body of the pump? you may or may not be able to open it up to repair. if its repairable it will just most likely need a new seal installed but if its the old teleflex syten model you wont be able to open or repair it. so knowing what make it is will help.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

eric_b
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3227 Convertible

Re: gasket on flybridge steering?

Postby eric_b » August 22nd, 2014, 2:35 pm

I just did the one on my '86 3227 and only took me a couple of hours to do the replacement, including helm unit removal, teardown, rebuild and replacement. The trickiest part is the rebuild with the new gaskets.

If your unit is like mine, it is the hynautic unit (H-50) and the helm seal kits are readily available (Model HS-05). I purchased mine from Downwind Marine.

The following site has an excellent pictorial write up on how to do it: http://www.local1259iaff.org/hydraulichelmrebuild.html
1986 Carver 3227 Convertible

Return to “General Boating Discussion”