Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Snow bird investigation - Carolinas

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Snow bird investigation - Carolinas

Postby Cooler » December 5th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Hello All! Just returned from a trip to Charleston SC, and Oceanside Isle NC. The Admiral and I were looking for prospects for winter season rentals to deal with our "love" for 6 month winters in Green Bay. Stayed at a hotel next to a marina in Charleston. Needless to say, went for marina stroll each day there. Did not see a single Carver in this >200 slip marina. Most were Bertrams, Hatteras, OA's, and the like. Lowest quality rated brand was Viking. There was also dry rack storage of numerous Center Console's, some of which were on the top of the rack structures. Must be 50 ft up so I wonder what happens when they get a tropical storm wind in the area. I did see 1 Silverton in a slip, but not sure if that was slip resident, or a transient. That one was just 46 feet, so pretty small compared to most slip residents. Was really surprised at the number of residents that would wash down their vessel every single day. Maybe therapy for them, but I suspect it is more saltwater environment driven. Anyway, decided we are going to target North Carolina for winter relief, probably in the Sunset Beach area. Temps do get chilly there in February, but nothing like GB single digits with subzero freezing wind chills, and 3" of packed ice in driveway. Had a great time and now the next step is finalizing a rental. Happy Holidays everyone! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Snow bird investigation - Carolinas

Postby g36 » December 6th, 2021, 6:44 am

Sounds like you had a great time, if you don't care maybe send some of that snow to Tennessee we hardly ever get any around chattanooga
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 6th, 2021, 7:02 am

You are more than welcome to shovel my driveway. As I am typing this the snowplow passed in front of my house about 3 mins ago. Nice 2 1/2' snowbank that needs to be removed. Plus I won't even charge you to do so and will supply the shovel. :-D Use of my snowblower will cost you though. :-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 6th, 2021, 8:11 am

Too late, did it myself.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » December 6th, 2021, 11:09 am

Aw shucks I was on my way.
I've never been around snow long enough to ever get tired of it. If we get it where I'm at it's gone the same day or most likely the next. It's been a couple years of nothing. And if we did get it that would be like 1-3 inches. I'm sure you guys up north probably don't have the desire for it that I do. One o the best vacations my wife and I had was snowmobililling in Yellowstone, that was awesome.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 6th, 2021, 1:09 pm

g36 - maybe you should plan a trip up here to snow country. Make it around NFL playoff time and you may be able to see The Packers on their way to the Super Bowl. I will provide the accommodations, and transport around the area, and you can use my snow shovels at no charge. All you need to bring is a bottle or 2 of Blanton's Single Barrel bourbon. Just think of all that fun you can have in the snow. Make sure your health insurance is current! :-D 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 6th, 2021, 3:41 pm

It ain't the snow, but the temps that come along with it up here.......brrrrrrrrr !!!

Florida here we come if the border allows....we are all booked till spring.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » December 7th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Thanks cooler for the offer I think a trip up that way and on to Lambeau would be awesome. With all those perks your offering makes me a bit suspicious of how much shoveling I would be in for. I'll have to do a bit of thinking on this, or maybe just skip the work and enjoy the bourbon. I'll have to find that brand and give it a shot, it must be good.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 8th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Yep, I guess that bourbon is something special. It is made in Frankfort KY. Very difficult getting it unless you can be at their distillery store at 10:30, on the days they have available. Each person can only buy 1 bottle within a certain period of time. Otherwise, it is on allocation to liquor stores due to how much was made 10 years ago. You may not have to shovel at all, if it doesn't snow. OR, if it does snow, Lambeau hires people to shovel off 60,000 seats in the bowl. Now there's a story you could pass along for generations. Lambeau is just 5 min from my house. Legacy Carver is just 15 miles away. Finally, Cooler is in warm storage. We can have a happy hour there also. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”