Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What makes the money spent worth it?

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Topic author United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

What makes the money spent worth it?

Postby jcoll » June 13th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Besides drag racing and aviation I can't think of too many recreational activities that require substantial investment in $ to do like boating does. I know there's lots of arguments either way on that but, that's been my experience.

One of the many things that makes it worth it for me is some things I've been able to see that I may never have gotten the chance to only because I was on a boat at the right place at the right time. For instance, my wife and I were enjoying early morning coffee in a cove in the upper Chesapeake area. Bald Eagles are making a come back with a vengeance in the bay. Territorial disputes are being played out between ospreys and eagles and amongst eagles themselves. While we were sitting on the back deck we saw an osprey pick up what looked like a fairly decent white perch. The bird flew toward shore and under cover of the overhanging tree limbs. It's flight seemed odd but the reason soon became clear. No less that 4 immature and 1 mature eagle came over the canopy and 1 eagle started in on the osprey. It didn't take long for the osprey to turn, make a sorry attempt at escape, and just drop the fish at which point the eagle just pulled off and let the fish and the osprey alone. Then another one of the eagles went for the fish at which point it was chased by a 3rd eagle. The action got serious now. The chaser and the chased were going at it. At one point the chased bird turns upside down in mid flight and raises its talons at the other bird daring it to continue. That's when they both flew off in different directions. It was like watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. Where else do you get a chance to see stuff like this. I've been watching birds, hunting and fishing for decades now and I've never seen something like this. Little things like this add up and make it all worth it.

What makes it worth it to you?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: What makes the money spent worth it?

Postby Viper » June 13th, 2017, 8:23 pm

The scenery, the freedom, the mayhem, the peace and quiet, the memories with family and friends, etc. etc....priceless. In the end the wallet dictates but you can't put a price on this sort of thing. I got memories and stories that I just couldn't put a price tag on and I'll never forget. Do I remember how much boating cost me during those times? NOPE.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » June 13th, 2017, 10:45 pm

A boat is a hole in water, that you pour family, friends and memories into...
Chip Nanauer

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 13th, 2017, 11:09 pm

What makes it worth it to me is being out on the waterways. You never know what is around the next bend or on the next island. Of all the hobbies I picked in my life boating is one of the most expensive but once out on the waters it's worth every penny spent.

It's actually priceless.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
John Easley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Sold a 1986 42' Chris Craft Catalina. Looking for a 1999-2006 530 Voyager Pilothouse.

Postby John Easley » July 18th, 2017, 8:28 am

On a recent trip, we had to leave our anchorage in the Everglades at high tide, which worked out to be 3:00 am. So, we crossed the Gulf from the Everglades to Marathon Key on flat seas, up on plane, with a full moon and not another boat in sight or on radar. Memorable night.

But what means the most to us are the people in the boating community. Our friends and neighbors in the marina and the people we meet along the way. That's what makes it all worth it!

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”