Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

July 4th

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

July 4th

Postby bud37 » July 4th, 2018, 7:54 am

Have a good Independence Day........ :usa: ......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: July 4th

Postby Viper » July 4th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Dito on that. Hope you guys have/had an awesome day. Sure is great to have the day off. :usa: :drunk:

Question; has the debate ever resurfaced about changing the date to July 2 to reflect the actual date of the vote? I remember some talk of that years ago.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 4th, 2018, 8:59 pm

In the Declaration of Independence, under the "indictments of the King" portion, there is this line:

""For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:"

Are they talking about Canada?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 5th, 2018, 4:30 am

If I remember my history lessons I believe we celebrate on the 4th because there was some revision to the original document and it was publicly released on the 4th.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 5th, 2018, 8:44 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post ....Are they talking about Canada?

It was independence from British rule if I remember correctly. "neighbouring" could be referring to Canada. Interesting that the spelling of that word is the British/Canadian way of spelling it. Was that you or did you copy and paste directly from a source as it was written?

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post If I remember my history lessons I believe we celebrate on the 4th because there was some revision to the original document and it was publicly released on the 4th.

Yes. The independence as far as I recall was as of July 2 second when a vote actually took place and the document drafted. It was then revised on the 4th.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 5th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post ....Are they talking about Canada?

It was independence from British rule if I remember correctly. "neighbouring" could be referring to Canada. Interesting that the spelling of that word is the British/Canadian way of spelling it. Was that you or did you copy and paste directly from a source as it was written?

That's verbatim, cut and pasted right out of the text of the Declaration.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 6th, 2018, 7:27 am

Interesting.

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”