Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Off season therapy

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Off season therapy

Postby Cooler » January 29th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Hey Michael. Any better experience contacting Carver via Jeff? Hope The Black Rose is getting the attention she needs! I will be on this forum a lot over the next couple of days. Our HIGH temp for 3 days are -2F, -6, & -6. Lows to -24F with winds at 20 to 35mph. Not exactly boating weather. Waves 7 to 10 with heavy freezing spray. Think I will hunker down at home.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 30th, 2019, 8:26 am

Hey guys, Jeff was transferred to another department this past fall. I believe that he was transferred to production.
HE WAS EXCELLENT! I have never come across a customer service person in any industry who did a better job then Jeff.
However, things change and I am not sure who took his place. Hopefully the person approaches the level of care Jeff took in his position.

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » January 30th, 2019, 11:08 am

Oh shoot! Next time I need to contact him, I will see if I can get another high quality connection. There are a lot of very good staff members at Carver, but that level of passion and work ethic is not typical in any organization. Jeff is one of those guys that owns his responsibilities and does not let anything slip thru the cracks. Obviously loves his job. I had no idea Carver kept those construction logs until he informed me. He gave me great comfort in purchasing my used Carver. Hope he is in production. Good example of Carver's commitment to 'great value and quality construction'. If I get board enough, and I am sure I will, I'll take a drive over and see if I can meet/congratulate Jeff and get another contact for us. -22F right now, wind chill -48F, waves 7 to 10 feet. Starting to get cabin fever! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » February 1st, 2019, 12:31 pm

The polar vortex is finally moving away. We are up to a balmy 8F, after tying a 120 year old record for cold temps yesterday. Last time it was that cold on Jan. 31, the year was 1899. Tomorrow, a high of 32F, then 42, then Monday at 46! So, one request to our friends in the Arctic. Please keep your air up there. You need it to restore the climate to it's normal cycle. I keep reminding the admiral about how much whining she was doing last July when it was too hot, too humid for a several day stretch. No more whining about the warm weather! Roughly 6 months ago, it was 98F. A swing of 120 degrees compared to yesterday. He we are, just 113 days, 19 hours, 30 min to official boating season. More like 86 to 90 days for a lot of you! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » February 1st, 2019, 4:16 pm

8-) er, if I have to wait 80-90 days for boat season I will seriously need professional help to survive. :banghead: My plan is to be back at the boat NLT April 1st, I will gladly be an "April Fool" ! :-D I often spend the other season, there's only two seasons down here that matter IMHO - boating and hunting, working on upgrade/refinish projects to make it through until boating season begins. I'm currently waiting now for the weather to just get warm enough that I don't have to worry about freezing weather and having to re-winterize. I will then be firing up the engines and moving her 40 miles downstream :captain: to Green Turtle Bay to have her pulled and get her bottom repainted. It would kill me to live way up north, you guys have to be tuff to wait it out so long!
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » February 1st, 2019, 5:48 pm

I hear ya! The good news is I miscalculated the # of days. Our official boating season starts on May 15, 7AM each year. That's when most marina's open. So not 113 days, but 103 days. Truth is, we can usually get in a little earlier, so really 95 days. Last year was odd. I was cruising to the marina from launch point on May 7th, and had to keep a watchful eye for ice chunks. Then the marinas were scrambling to get ready because they need to repair ice damage to docks and their schedule was delayed due to a 23" snow storm on April 16th. May temps are only in the 60's at best, and when temps finally do get to 70, the Mayfly hatch annoys us till early June. These are tiny black gnats that hover in swarms, and get into everything. In the meantime, I survive vicariously thru boaters like you who launch, share stories, and look for input to issues. Then there is the other end of the season, Oct. 15th at the latest. Marinas all close down so even if the weather is OK, there is no place to get fuel. Yes, our season is short. We just make the best of it by getting a lot of boat time into short windows. AND Yes, we do get therapy as needed. My therapist name is Dr Revel - he is Canadian with a Pecan flavoring. When he is not available, then I go to Dr J Cuervo, and his physician assistant, RN Marguerita. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 2nd, 2019, 2:35 am

I am still shooting for April 3rd to launch. May or may not happen but I want to get in sooner than last year when I launched June 29th. We do have a fishfly season down here in S/E Michigan but not some of the other stuff mentioned.

With this latest Polar Vortex there could be a lot of ice coming down from the upper lakes. That could delay me a bit. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. As far as pulling out, usually the first week in November.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » February 2nd, 2019, 12:28 pm

Here in the mid-south we don’t get the winters you get up north, so while some marinas closes services such as fuel and restaurants other remain open all year. Last year was the first time in years we had seen the harbor ice over, but it wasn’t anything that a bubbler couldn’t handle. I winterized in last November at the end of season, but one of my slip neighbors did get to it till late December. Boating could be possible year round if you could really take being out in the cold temps.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » February 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

By cold temps, I assume you mean 40F? That is simply fall boating season for us. :confused: We consume more Jagermeister to stay warm. Speaking of 40 degrees, it is now 42 here in Green Bay. A 68 degree swing in two days. Think I will put on some shorts and clean up some snow and ice in the driveway. Went to one of the GB marinas slip holder meeting last night. Funn! The marina announced some upgrades, including: a ship's store located on property, a full time employee managing the facility bar & grill, the restructuring of the broker arrangement, qualifying as a DNR "clean marina" designation, new boat sales on site ( G3 boat line ), and new team of mechanics! One mechanic is "best in class" capabilities and talent. Kudo's to South Bay Marina for listening to slip holders and implementing a lot of change in a short period of time! The marina was already doing a good job, but still focused on improvement. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

Postby rjr » February 3rd, 2019, 4:25 pm

Hey - another Michigan owner. We dock at Bouvier Bridge Marina which is at the top end of Lake St. Clair. Lovely little marina with good facilities and friendly people. We are about equidistant to Lake Huron or Lake Erie. We have the benefit of Ontario next door as well.
Boat is stored in Algonac for the winter. Have been there a couple of times checking things off the to do list. Marina opens 0424 and we are scheduled for splash first week in May.
I have had good luck communicating with Pat at Carver. Anybody else?

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”