Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Off season therapy

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Off season therapy

Postby Cooler » November 9th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Hello All! Boating season is behind us in the Midwest, Great Lakes area. I was going to post a picture of our first snow fall, but just could not do it. ANYWAY, seeing as we can't throttle up, I thought I would just start a conversation about whatever. Seems like most of the posts here a a little old, not relative to the therapy we all need to get through the non-boating season. Maybe we can arrange get togethers in convenient gathering regions, so we can do what boaters do - talk smart & lie. ( Just kidding ) We all have different boating styles/habits, and it would be fun to share that stuff. I keep my boat in Menominee MI. On the border of Upper MI, and Wisconsin. I live 12 mi from the Carver factory, now Marquis-Larson Boat Group, and have some excellent resource contacts at Carver. Their customer service group is really very good. The biggest reason I slip in Menominee, is the quality of the marina, the staff, and because we are literally 13 to 20 miles from one of the most beautiful boating areas in the USA. That being Door County, WI. Takes us just 40 to 75 mins to go to any one of many recreational ports. Sturgeon Bay, Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Sister Bay, Ephriam, Gills Rock, Washington Island, Rock Island, all on the bay side of Door County. Each of these destinations have multiple marina options, or anchorages that rival anywhere in the world. Half way between the two coasts, for those of you who have beverage break requirements, is Chambers Island. But really, if you need that break, you really need to have a talk with yourself. I am fortunate enough to be retired, but work very part time at a marine store. That allows me to try out all kinds of marine products as a "test facility". Fun to give advice to new mariners, and have them come back and rave above the performance of the product. Enough for now...hope to hear from other boaters. If you plan any trips to my area, I am happy to be your tour guide. Always great fun to boat in groups!

Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Off season therapy

Postby RGrew176 » November 10th, 2018, 3:54 am

Good idea for a thread. Gotta do something to get through the next few months. I too am located in a great area. I moor my boat at the Gibraltar Boat Yard in Gibraltar Michigan. It's a smaller personal owned marina. The owner is top notch. They keep up on the maintenance. If you have an issue it is addressed immediately or as soon as possible. They are always full. I was lucky to get a spot in there 2 years ago. My timing was spot on as 2 slips had opened up as the previous occupants had sold their boats and the buyers went elsewhere. The marina is a complete service marina. On site is a mechanic shop, canvas shop, fiberglass shop, detailing shop and a marine store. In theory you don't have to go anywhere to get something done.

We are located at the south end of the Detroit River just minutes from Lake Erie. The Lake Erie Islands are about a 39 mile cruise. Of course there are plenty of places to go on the Detroit River and Canada is just across the river so we have a bit of an international flavor. I have friends on both sides of the river. During the season I try to get my boat out on the river at least once a week. It is a great place to keep your boat. There are plenty of near by anchorages in both Michigan and Canada where you can drop a hook.

I've been boating this area since I was 15 when I bought my first boat. Like many places in the Great Lakes it is a great place to own a boat. I still have a couple of things I need to do then get her shrinkwrapped for the winter. Hope to have that done by sometime next week. Now starting to save up some money for next season. Depending on the weather I hope to launch next April 3rd or thereabouts. Got in way to late this past season.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 10th, 2018, 5:18 am

Our marina is rather small but quaint. Walking distance to almost everything including a great Irish Pub. Car is parked a stone throws away when we arrive. Located in the small town of Prescott in Ontario which becomes a ghost town in winter. Not much at the marina except for gas, diesel and pump out and a great staff that are always at the dock waiting to assist all boats as they come in. Marina is very clean, with showers, washrooms an ice and drink vending mac which pretty much wraps it up. Marina is owned and run by the city which is always a good thing. When it comes to anything that needs to be done on the boat we are SOL. Then again the last 3 marina I was at were all similar. I do have a fantastic marine mechanic that I can call and do the stuff I do not feel like doing or maybe better said, go places my body will not fit. :-D He is an avid boater and will come down almost the same day if needed.

Also nice to find anything you need 15 minutes away by car right off the highway at Brockville. Home Depot, Walmart, you name it. Due to non existant services in the last 20 years I have learned most everything that needs to be done on a boat which is a good thing.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » November 10th, 2018, 9:16 am

I’m fortunate in that I have a ‘new to me’ boat to tinker with over the winter. I came from a Cruisers 3650 with Volvo diesels to my 410SS. I loved the diesels but won’t miss the cost of doing an oil change. I came to the realization that boating up and down the Trent Severn Waterway surrounded by locks didn’t justify the diesels and am not heartbroken to now have 496’s.

I’m at a marina, this winter, in a covered slip hanging from straps and have access to it with shore power. My list includes:
-Install my Magnum 2800 pure sine inverter (local marine electrician charges $110/hr and claims two days...may need to keep looking) :-O I had one on my Cruisers connected to 4 Rolls Surrette S550’s for 860Ahr and loved it.
-replace the original Raymarine RL70 MFD, leaning towards Garmin, thoughts? Fingers crossed for a good deal at Toronto boat show.
-some restitching on the canvas. I called Carver support, It’s a shame they no longer have the patterns.
- replace the screen on the sliding screen door. The frame is weak aluminum with a vertical curve in it...should be interesting.
- last but not least are any other upgrades that I see from fellow members! :-P

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 10th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Hello Darrenlife. I am a big Garmin fan. Owned Garmin units for the past 23 years and have never been disappointed in terms of operation, accuracy and dependability. I currently have a 740S Chartplotter that includes more functions than I use. In addition to the overall quality, Garmins are user friendly. Very intuitive so you can figure out how to use features without having a doctorate in translating instructions to actual user tasks. Raymarine is very good quality also, but I have heard some complaints. Most often that comes from installation or user error. As far as upgrades, have you all noticed how affordable underwater lights are getting? We have a 38 Sea Ray in our marina that installed a drain plug light. That light is bright! Love the look of the water lit up at night. Think I will install one of those. Also, there is a flooring company that makes a teak look rolling mat. From 10 feet away, you can't tell if it is actual teak slats, or a mat. You simply cut to fit. The material does not get wet on the bottom, just wicks away.

Although our marina is not small, 272 slips & 20 wall tie ups, we still manage to maintain that close community feel. We do not have that one stop quality that Rick has in Gibraltar. That would be really nice. I am down to 1 mechanic that I trust to solve mechanical issues. The mechanic that was the best in the Midwest recently retired because his knees and hips are giving him serious challenges. The guy was magic though, perfect balance of craftsman that could diagnose any problem just listening to it, and also able to use current technology for new, advanced systems. He would also like for you to assist in repair so you could help yourself with reoccurring issues. How rare is that? He now has transitioned into hauling and storage only. I am lucky enough to have a relationship with another mechanic that is 99.9% as good as the magic man.

I have Cooler stored in warm storage, owned by the magic man. When I get really depressed in mid-winter, I can go sit in the cockpit and fantasize that I am at Nicolet Bay in Pennisula Park in Fish Creek, smelling the aroma of coconut breezes and smoke/barbecue from the campfires on land. The coconut smell comes from Babe's Seat Soap. Yes, I am a pirate, born 200 years too late. I may be pathetic, but I prefer to think of it as creative. Hope to hear from more boaters about their memories, experiences, and boating habits! We are all cut from different pieces of wood!
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 10th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Heh guys, our marina is one of a group on Georgian bay , we live in the same town 5 minutes away. A wonderful place, slow pace, everything nearby, nice people. We just came back from the daily boat check, the wind is howling, snowing like crazy, our new fitted tarp is just fine but there are some others that the wind tore apart already.It has been extremely windy this season for the most part, so between family issues and that, although we have been on the boat almost every day, we have barely untied the lines but all is better now and looking forward to next season out at our favourite anchorages. Boated on Lake Ontario for years and really never payed much attention to charts, just a couple waypoints ( remember loran C ), but just a little different on the bay....pay attention or else.. :help:

Cooler you seem to be very lucky ( very lucky indeed ) with your mechanic situation, I have looked for years now and no luck, basically have to do everything ourselves. ,I completely agree with your Garmin assessment, used that stuff for years....have exactly the same comments.... :down:

Between the new head and dinghy, I believe the boat show this year will be a fairly expensive day, we are looking forward to it......... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » November 10th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Cooler and Bud,

Thanks for the feedback on the Garmin line. I have always had Raymarine but after speaking to several dealers and fellow boater am definitely leaning to Garmin.

The boat is currently in Queens Cove in Victoria Harbour on Georgian Bay. It’s also a large full-service marina which is a big change from our regular seasonal marina. My regular marina is a municipal marina, no frills, just fuel and pump-out. Finding a reliable mechanic is also a challenge in my area as it usually means bring a mechanic from 45mins away so have also learned to do my own work. Thank goodness for this forum and YouTube.

I had a Magnum inverter on my last boat and fairly confidant I could install myself but a little concerned that I may overlook something.

I also had a drain plug light on my last boat, will put that on my list. The other enhancement I would do again is the sidebar beverage dispenser. For this not familiar, it’s essentially a tap with five of you favorite bevies hooked up to a 12VDC pump, it will fit perfectly on my wet bar above the fridge/ice maker combo.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 11th, 2018, 4:09 am

I do not think you will go wrong with either however I had the same dilemma when I upgraded my electronics and there are certain things to consider before changing. Since the boat was already 100% Raymarine there were items such as auto pilot, transducers and my fish finder that do not play together nicely from one manufacturer to the other so my decision was to stay with Ray. I did research both heavily only to find out when either upgrades to newer and better things they are mostly not compatible with older stuff of the same brand so no advantage to either brand here. The only advantage on any side goes to Raymarine since they do not use proprietary charts so you do have a choice in that department otherwise might as well toss a coin IMHO.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » November 11th, 2018, 8:14 am

Midnightsun, what Raymarine equipment did you have and what did you replace it with? Replacement of my 2003 Raymarine equipment is this winters project.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 11th, 2018, 8:23 am

had the A series Classic and replaced with the a-series http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=4954 as the line had come to an end so prices were rather inviting. That being said, even if you get the latest and greatest unfortunately a few years down the road it once again will be discontinued or at least this is the trend even with Garmin. ;-) http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=4954

Came out pretty darn nice if I say so myself. Juggled things around so I could have dual screens and not need to cover up any holes left from previous installations.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”