Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boating/Golf......ASAP...

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: 13 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby RGrew176 » January 27th, 2019, 9:46 pm

I think the reason there are fewer large boats at boat shows anymore is they are not selling. Most of the boats sold now are fishing and pontoon units.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 28th, 2019, 6:50 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post...... Does anyone else have some concern over this new practice of putting huge swim platforms over the top of existing old ones that were never designed for the much higher loads that could be placed on the boats stern section.....

I've installed a few over the years and so far there hasn't been any ill effects due to extra stresses on the transom.

The caveat here is to ensure the transom and existing swim platform are structurally sound. Also ensure the new platform supplier includes additional supports. They'll typically supply enough supports for the aft perimeter of the new platform but it doesn't hurt to ask for additional ones. I've also seen first hand that the supplier installations are substandard, at least in the ones I've seen. After all, they certainly don't take their time, they want to finish as fast as possible and move on to the next one so get references and talk to people who've had the supplier do the installation if that's your plan. As long as proper installation practices are used, there shouldn't be a problem.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Agree with Viper. The transom on Carvers are really thick and are solid fiberglass, so no worries there. The one other issue is height above water at the most aft edge of the platform. Some Carver models have low profile platforms, and are stern heavy with full fuel tanks. Depending on the model/year, that water clearance can disappear and you will literally be scraping top water under the platform edge. That leverage, opposite of pushing down when standing, could 1. prevent hull from getting on plane, 2. create enough leverage to lift the platform away from transom. I have seen a number of extended platforms on boats with integrated high profile swim platforms, but there is a limit to extension. One guy has a Sunseeker with a 66" platform, that one looks a little funny. Good luck. I now have to get dressed warm and get the snow out of my driveway at a balmy 14 degrees F. We got 10 inches overnight, and may get another 2- 6" by end of day. These are the days I tell the admiral to think about when she whines about the summer heat & humidity. We just had -22 yesterday morning, and going back to deep freeze for the remainder of week. Winter....ick! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 28th, 2019, 2:22 pm

I added an additional 21" to an existing platform on my previous boat. Worked very well in that application and agree the secret is extra support under. I kept the existing struts and added 3 more which extended out much further, worked very well and was very solid. See this thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3492&p=23120&hilit=swim+platform#p23120
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 28th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I agree about the small increases probably being just fine......the ones I am talking about, seem to add what appears to be about 2 1/2 feet and more. Now the original engineering for the transom area of any these boats regardless of manufacturer, would not take those sorts of loads into account....consider 4 to six people at the outer edge, if that is six feet from the back for example that could be that load times 6..about 7200 #'s. Actually the more shocking part of it would be a stern wave in rough following sea conditions.... :-O

I guess if one were to put engineered supports in, but where would the correct info come from... would you get this from a provider, the one I personally did see being installed was with tubes of 5200 and lots of sealant around the edges, there were some bolts and two supports.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » January 28th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Yes Bud. I would be most concerned about the engineering issues also. Weight support AND stern clearance to water. A good stern wave could generate a lot more than 7200 #s of leverage. Where that actual leverage point would be most stressful, and what would be the results? Anything from spider cracks in gel coat to structural failure. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 12 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby bud37 » February 2nd, 2019, 9:07 am

Well hot of the presses.....Wiarton Willie did not see his shadow , predicting an early spring.. :down: ...therefore I am sticking to the 12 weeks.... :-D

On another note Shubenacadie did see his shadow, seems like a trouble maker to me..... :-D

We are now digging out from under a new 70cm/27" of white stuff.....yup, dog sleds and snowmobiles going by the house now, cant see them, can only hear.... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 11 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby bud37 » February 10th, 2019, 7:34 am

Down to 11 weeks now, days are longer and my new toilet has been delivered , nice..... :-D . Just waiting for the new engine flush valves to show up and that will do it for new parts to install.

It has been great for the snowmobilers of late, trails all open..... Lots of huts on the bay, but we don,t see many people around there now, odd when the ice was thin people were everywhere. Some nice huts though, I believe you could live in a couple of them.... :-D ....... :popcorn:

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Re: 11 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby Cooler » February 10th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Yea Buddy! I hope your countdown is on pace. We are in the midst of a 6" snow storm right now. An additional 8" on Tuesday is forecast, and then another 6 to 8 on Friday. 20" by end of week. The Sturgeon spearing season 80 miles to our south is showing 18" ice depth when they cut holes. Some guy just speared a 171 pound fish yesterday. The fish was determined to be 85 years old. I am starting to show symptoms of severe winter cabin fever. :confused: I might need to just start driving south to any warm destination. Hans, are you still in Bahamas? ARGH! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 10 Weeks to Boating/Golf..

Postby bud37 » February 16th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Well we are on our way, lots of sun today but too much soft snow between boats to get in for my monthly check.

Lots and lots of snow machines going thru town today and the wife after suggesting she may like a fish hut has expressed some interest in snowmobiling ... :-O ....just not on the bay.. :down:.. Soon I will take a pic of all the crap I have accumulated that will be installed this spring and we will see what everyone else has planned. Mine so far is

1250p charger
elegance toilet and hoses
bronze engine flush valves
recharge holding tank vent filter
new intake hose for gen
put camera down port side engine intake thru hull to check valve
hire marina to polish hull
organize bilge/garage sale at marina to sell stuff , dinghy, 50 Charles charger, anchors etc and lots of stainless weaver stuff.

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”