Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How many engine hours this year so far

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Engine hours so far this year....2019

1 to 10
17%
11 to 20
17%
21 to 30
22%
31 to 40
11%
40 to 50
11%
Over 50.....you win
22%

Total votes: 18

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

How many engine hours this year so far

Postby bud37 » July 31st, 2019, 7:48 pm

Well it has been a couple years since the last poll, so I thought to try again with a slightly different slant.....how many engine hours so far....

It has been a good summer so far for most ( sorry Hans) and with so many more CYO members it will be interesting to see the results....so have at it........ :beergood: .... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: How many engine hours this year so far

Postby Midnightsun » July 31st, 2019, 8:16 pm

Sadly only about 25 but will catch up in a couple of weeks. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » August 1st, 2019, 9:37 am

41 blissful hours. Most of my cruising occurs in August, so that will change. Probably put 10 hours on over the weekend! Perfect weather for the next 4 days! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 2nd, 2019, 11:36 am

52, being retired is a good thing. Would have been more but some electrical system upgrades cost almost two months of cruising time.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 2nd, 2019, 5:56 pm

PJHoffnet wrote:Source of the post.....some electrical system upgrades cost almost two months of cruising time.

Wow Paul, what did they do?

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 3rd, 2019, 3:04 pm

Viper wrote:Wow Paul, what did they do?

Installed an Victron MultiPlus 3KW inverter (took about a month because the installer received a two bad graphical display units from Victron - I would have hung it on the installer, but I was sitting right there with him while he was on the phone with a Victron Rep trying to boot up the second one), three 150Ah LiFePO Smart Batteries, and the associated monitoring electronics. Then we went cruising for three weeks. Really loved the thing while underway and on the hook. Aside from the AC, we run everything just like we're at the dock on shore power. Batteries charged up every day from the engines. Only ran the generator a few times when we were on the hook for a couple of days without moving.

Did a little daily ops stuff for a week or so after we got back and the house/engines battery charger (an 6 year old old ProMariner 1240) started whining like a Banschee (cooling fan bearing). I tried all sort of little tricks to milk it for a while, but it eventually died while we were away for ten days. Needless to say those six year old batteries didn't like being un/under charged so they slowly died. Took about a week or so to get the new charger (ProNautic 1240) and batteries (Victron AGM Super cycles) and then another week to line up strong dudes to help me get the old ones out and the new ones in.

So, while things are like new in my electrical world it did cost me a bit of underway time, which of course led to a barnacle fiesta on my running gear that I took care of with a short haul and scrape last week.

Oh, almost forgot. Twelve year old Bimini got ripped pretty good in a microburst. Took about three weeks to get that replaced (busy time of the year for one of the areas best canvas guys), but that didn't slow down the boating - just a bit wet at times :)

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 6th, 2019, 10:24 pm

We went from a rainy spring to a stifling hot summer. High temps and humidity. The wife like the A/C. so only about 8 cruising hours so far. :cry:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 7th, 2019, 8:00 am

PJHoffnet wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Wow Paul, what did they do?

Installed an Victron MultiPlus 3KW inverter (took about a month because the installer received a two bad graphical display units from Victron - I would have hung it on the installer, but I was sitting right there with him while he was on the phone with a Victron Rep trying to boot up the second one), three 150Ah LiFePO Smart Batteries, and the associated monitoring electronics. Then we went cruising for three weeks. Really loved the thing while underway and on the hook. Aside from the AC, we run everything just like we're at the dock on shore power. Batteries charged up every day from the engines. Only ran the generator a few times when we were on the hook for a couple of days without moving.

Did a little daily ops stuff for a week or so after we got back and the house/engines battery charger (an 6 year old old ProMariner 1240) started whining like a Banschee (cooling fan bearing). I tried all sort of little tricks to milk it for a while, but it eventually died while we were away for ten days. Needless to say those six year old batteries didn't like being un/under charged so they slowly died. Took about a week or so to get the new charger (ProNautic 1240) and batteries (Victron AGM Super cycles) and then another week to line up strong dudes to help me get the old ones out and the new ones in.

So, while things are like new in my electrical world it did cost me a bit of underway time, which of course led to a barnacle fiesta on my running gear that I took care of with a short haul and scrape last week.

Oh, almost forgot. Twelve year old Bimini got ripped pretty good in a microburst. Took about three weeks to get that replaced (busy time of the year for one of the areas best canvas guys), but that didn't slow down the boating - just a bit wet at times :)

That's boating ;-)

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 7th, 2019, 5:13 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post We went from a rainy spring to a stifling hot summer. High temps and humidity. The wife like the A/C. so only about 8 cruising hours so far. :cry:

Funny you should say that, much the same here and we have been waiting for the new top as its unbearable on the bridge with what we have....gettin old.... :help:

The transition was maybe a couple days from furnace on to air conditioning..... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 17th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Interesting so far, almost three weeks with 220 visits, only 13 votes in the poll, with the 10 hours and under tied with the over 50....... :popcorn:

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”