Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Used boat sales vs Marine fuel price

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Used boat sales vs Marine fuel price

Postby Cooler » March 5th, 2022, 11:22 am

Just returned from a station that is selling ethanol free reg gas for $4.49 USD per gallon. This is in North Myrtle Beach, SC area. The station is land based so just trailered boats. May walk a marina today and see if there are any gas pumps accessible. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 6th, 2022, 11:22 am

Marina gas in North Myrtle Beach, NC is 3.88 US. The dockmaster said this is priced from his last delivery. His next delivery is this week, and the increase in cost basis is UGLY. Did not convert to customer sale price yet, is avoiding that stress. A few boats came in for gas while I was hanging out, and they were chatting up the idea that they were going to spend a lot of the summer at the dock. A couple with a 38 Sea Ray filled up, 140 gal., and the skipper said he is not going to be running much, if at all, this summer. 38 ft slips rent for $360 US per month, and quickly increase from there based on length. Let's pray for peace, Ukraine sovereignty, the people suffering through this crisis, and get back to normal. God bless you all! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 6th, 2022, 11:51 am

June 2008 we had this same issue based on different conditions where gas prices were up to $4.10 a gallon. Prices came down quite a bit and unfortunately now they have gone rabid again. Like I said, hull speed summer which is normally how I operate anyway unless the Admiral wants to get to destination in a hurry that is. My new shiny Ultra anchor is probably going to see some substantial use along side the new Lithium house bank. Guess the paddle board will get more use also. :captain:

Good friend of mine just upgraded to a Maxum 38 with dual 8.1 Merc inboards end of season last year. He always travels fast and far, I mean fast. Usually to the tune of $10,000 a season in fuel and that was with a 32 express and dual 350 strokers. Bet he will hit over $20,000 in fuel this year.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
SteveMyhre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2018 Crownline 275ss

Postby SteveMyhre » March 6th, 2022, 2:46 pm

While I already have a 2018 28' runabout, I have been looking at upgrading for several months. Financing approved and all set to purchase but have it on hold until there is a correction from the current highs. Since I don't "need" a bigger boat, I can wait. Perhaps there will be a fire sale on seized Russian yachts. :lol:

Unless fuel prices triple, it will not change my boating habits.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 7th, 2022, 3:12 am

Downsizing from my 30' 3007 to my new Tahoe T-16 will save me a lot this season. My boat never left the dock last year mainly because of the cost of fuel last season. Can't imagine what it will be this season on the water. My new boat is on a trailer so at least I will be able to fill up on land where prices are cheaper. I had my jetski out just about every weekend last year and plan to do about the same with the boat this year.

Of course if gas hits $5 a gallon on land I may rethink my plans just a bit. Saw one gas station near me on Saturday at $4.29.9 for 87 octane. Prices are climbing and Putin is the blame for the latest jump in prices.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 7th, 2022, 9:39 am

Don't want to derail and get political, but Putin is not the blame for those prices. They were headed skyward before he even hinted at a move.

Had one friend who justified his payments for fuel by saying "that's the ONE expense that proves you're actually ENJOYING the toys you have!!"

Another went with the saying that "anything fun costs money, and more fun costs more money", so we're going to be having LOTS of fun this summer!! :-O

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 7th, 2022, 10:43 am

I like that, and total supporter of "fun". Just speaking from experience, the boaters in our area seem to have a $4.00 line in the sand. Few years ago, when gas hit that $4 price point, boats just stopped running. I would cruise across the bay and not see vessel. Last couple of seasons, I would see at least a dozen boats on that same cruise. Gonna be a quiet year, unless things loosen up a bit. How about our OPEC allies get production back to where it was years ago? 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 7th, 2022, 11:14 am

Here in Canada we have a magical elf that can predict gas prices and locations days before the actual price changes. It is truly magical, how can this be? Perhaps if the message is leaked the blow is softened...... :-D

Of course the current situation is a convenient excuse to ramp up quickly, world supply and demand economics at play here.....expensive crude is profitable.

Ever wonder about oil industry executives bonus metric compensation and their profit loss statements...... :popcorn:

It seems to me that lately there has been a great many first time boaters buying quite large boats and maybe not quite knowledgable on the cost to maintain and run these boats especially when this spike hits...... Today already Diesel in California...5.60USD a USG....gas over 5USD a USG..... :help:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Postmaan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355

Postby Postmaan » July 20th, 2022, 10:13 pm

More time on the hook with drink I’m hand:). I’d imagine it might be a good time to start boat shopping this off season. Prices will be coming down. Fuel prices and post pandemic regrets.

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”