Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 owners...where's your A/C pics?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

3607 owners...where's your A/C pics?

Postby km1125 » May 22nd, 2018, 6:22 pm

I have an older (1983) 3607 and it didn't come with any heat or AC (or genset!). I've been toying with putting one (or two or three) units in. A couple years ago I adapted a portable to put in the salon to keep the dog cool when we're away from the boat and to give us a little heat early and late in the season. It works great but now I'm thinking of doing something more permanent.

I'd like to see any pics you have of your AC installations... where hoses route, how the units sit in their cabinets, etc. Anything you can provide could be helpful. I know where the units go (v-berth, salon and port side of aft cabin) but looking for how the duct plumbing was done, how the units sit (which way they face) and where the ducting splits and exits. The boat came with many pre-cut holes in the bulkheads and various compartments, but i'm not sure if all were done or if I'll need to cut a few more. I think I'll have to cut a couple to go from the salon unit to the salon registers.

If I do this, I'll also probably add a second 30A inlet and main panel for that. I'm exploring options on doing that too.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 3607 owners...where's your A/C pics?

Postby buster53 » May 22nd, 2018, 8:08 pm

Even doing this yourself, you can easily spend $5000, probably more. Have someone do it for you...add another $2000. Do you really want to put that much money into a 35 year old boat.
I love AC and would never have a boat without it, but I would at least look at less expensive alternatives.

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 22nd, 2018, 8:23 pm

I'm not spending anywhere near $5000, nor $7000. My current setup cost $200 and provides 16,000 BTU of heat or cool. I have a 7,000 btu marine unit I got from a friend that I was going to use either in the v-berth or the aft cabin. I'll have to come up with a control circuit for it because the one on it is fried, but that shouldn't be that hard, or cost that much (maybe $75). I have a water circulation pump. I may never do all three units. I've had the boat for ~26 years and really have never NEEDED to put heat or cooling in it until recently, but having AC on those hot humid days (and nights) definitely makes it nicer.

I'm thinking the project will come in at most at $1200, not counting the 30 inlet because we'll probably do that anyway.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 22nd, 2018, 9:45 pm

26 years with the same boat, I envy you....good stuff, most I can get is maybe 6 years......anyway, have you considered going boat shopping for your model with AC and have a good look...I know, I know..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » May 22nd, 2018, 9:46 pm

I can take pics of my setup this weekend... there is one under the dinette, one in the front birth, and one in the aft cabin on the port side of the bed. Mine uses one circulation pump for all 3 units. I will snap some pics this weekend! Btw 26 years of owning your carver is amazing!

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 23rd, 2018, 12:16 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post anyway, have you considered going boat shopping for your model with AC and have a good look...I know, I know..... :beergood:

I actually have considered that over the years. it's kind of like the "devil you know vs the devil you don't know"!!!

The boat has suited us very well, but the stairs down to the salon are beginning to be a big concern for the other half. We've started looking at things like the sedan bridges but I'm not ready to get into paying for a boat all over again.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 23rd, 2018, 6:45 pm

Ooops, what I actually meant was to look at some boats with AC to get an idea of how all was run etc for you to copy....as far as S bridges, I have had a few and believe me as you get older that ladder is a pain...the bridge boats with the steps up are way better, for old folk, dogs etc........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 24th, 2018, 11:15 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Ooops, what I actually meant was to look at some boats with AC to get an idea of how all was run etc for you to copy....as far as S bridges, I have had a few and believe me as you get older that ladder is a pain...the bridge boats with the steps up are way better, for old folk, dogs etc........ :beergood:

I have toyed with that, but I didn't want to waste the seller's time. There are a couple a few hours away and I thought of doing something like "I'll buy you lunch (or dinner) if you let me check out your boat and take some pics of the AC systems".

On the sedan bridges... the only ones we really looked at with the SR 480 SB. (I know, sacrilege here!) They are nice boats. I have two friend who have or have had them and they really liked them. Easy stairs to the bridge.

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 31st, 2018, 12:10 pm

Well, I struck a goldmine yesterday.

Turns out a guy near me used to be one of the main marine HVAC installers for years in the area. He retired a while ago and is cleaning out his garage. I scored 10 boxes of misc parts. I now have a new 500 GPH water pump, at least 100' of the flex 4", 50' of the flex 2" and probably 50' of flex 6". tons of 4" round registers of various colors, a few large retangular ones with the insulated boxes for behind them and several sections of 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 water tubing. Also have a box full of various duct splitters and adapters.

Also talked to him about my install. He said he would usually only put two units in... one in the aft cabin and one in the salon. He would duct the salon unit into the v-berth and it would be plenty of heat or air since it's such a small place. He said if you were down south he might go for a third unit.

Still interested in pictures though... anything that shows placement of registers, routing of hoses, unit mounting, etc... anything would be helpful!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 31st, 2018, 12:22 pm

Somebody is living right...nice........ :down:

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”