Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New boat purchase

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New boat purchase

Postby bud37 » August 21st, 2019, 8:52 am

LateStarter wrote:Source of the post Do you mean the reluctance by the broker?

Yes I did....for me and I do realize I am very conservative when it comes to money ( read cheap... :-D ), the rule would be until I can actually see the darn thing and touch it there is not a chance of one cent changing hands. these days there is just too much funny business going on with twists and turns that you never see coming.

Good luck on your other deal. Have you had the surveyor look at it yet ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carved 38

Postby LateStarter » August 21st, 2019, 10:22 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
LateStarter wrote:Source of the post Do you mean the reluctance by the broker?

Yes I did....for me and I do realize I am very conservative when it comes to money ( read cheap... :-D ), the rule would be until I can actually see the darn thing and touch it there is not a chance of one cent changing hands. these days there is just too much funny business going on with twists and turns that you never see coming.

Good luck on your other deal. Have you had the surveyor look at it yet ?

No, after the engine is installed, seller is moving it back to the Charlestown marina where be berths it. The sale will be done with them as his broker. Survey should happen within the next week to week and a half.

If the purchase goes thru, one of my winter projects will be to modify the shower enclosure. I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 300 pounds. As my son's like to say, I have a cat a##, and it is a tight squeeze into the shower. The rest of the head is fine. Any suggestions re this project. I would also like to put some kind of moulded steps up to the fly bridge in place of the ladder. Easier on me and then my four legged crew member could join me in the bridge.

As for being conservative with money, or as you put it cheap, I spent 22 years in the operations side in Wall Street and in public accounting dealing with brokers and traders. During that time I NEVER met one who was not conservative with their own money.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » August 21st, 2019, 12:38 pm

I have a 1988 Santego as well. I love the layout overall.

Modifying the shower enclosure is probably doable but making molded exterior steps to the bridge will block the engine access hatches on the cockpit and limit serviceability. It is really nice to be able to open all three hatches and have wide open access to both of the engines and the generator in one fell swoop.

Here's what I have found as problem areas - I'm sure your surveyor will find this stuff, but just in case:

Check for fuel in oil - one of mine (hopefully) just has a stuck float so just going to rebuild Carburetors and hopefully it isn't rings
Old Charger "Professional Mariner" brand was weak (meaning battery bank was chronically under charged = kiss of death for lead-acid batteries = new house bank)
Stray Current leak (was tripping the new Marina gcfi breakers - was fine at home port) - needed diagnosis + new main breaker + new water heater element + new charger
check if it is open cooling or closed - mine is a closed system which is better, I think, but have had intermittent overheating problem. Check for spongy deck in the flybridge.

I think if there are records/reciepts for regular maintenance (tune ups, oil/fluid changes) that says a lot about the mindset of the previous owner. Without those, I'd be offering less for sure.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » August 21st, 2019, 12:41 pm

Oh and mine has two 50a 125v power inlets which are not too common these days so adapters for 30v and associated cabling are pretty much mandatory if you intend to leave your home port.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 21st, 2019, 2:14 pm

vineyardgray wrote:Oh and mine has two 50a 125v power inlets which are not too common these days so adapters for 30v and associated cabling are pretty much mandatory if you intend to leave your home port.

I used to have that same set up on our '88, 3807. The PO had special cords made up...30 amp male end and 50 amp female end on 30 amp cords. Worked great. Never had an issue.

Topic author United States of America
LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carved 38

Postby LateStarter » August 22nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

You guys have been great with your info and assistance. I hope that I'm not going to try your patience by asking about another boat. Right now I am pursuing the 1990 Carved 38, waiting for the new engine to be installed so that the survey & sea trial can occur. At the surveyor's request I contacted the seller to have the other engine compression tested. I've asked the seller to have the marina doing the install to do the test, even though the surveyor wanted me to use his guy, but he wants to wait until after the install. To make a long story short, I've come across a 1993 Silverton 34 act cabin with twin Crusader 454's that only have 435 hours on them. It also has a 5kw kohler gen with 180 hours. With the host's age I assume the engines are not original. What is your opinion of the Silverton. The reviews that I've been able to find give it good grades. Do you know if it's a v or modified v hull?

Thanks for your patience with a dumb newbie.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 4:23 pm

Silverton made a pretty decent boat. Those could very well be the original engines and hours. Pretty sure its a modified V, same as the carver aft cabin boats of that size.
One thing I don't know is did Silverton use solid glass or a cored hull. You may want to check on Silverton and Luhrs (Silverton made their hulls) sites to find out.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 22nd, 2019, 6:22 pm

Are you considering this based on the price alone?.......the one I just looked at on YW looks like it may be a money pit.....How much are you prepared to do yourself or would you rather purchase a turn key situation ?

Engines look like new risers and coolers, hard to see all the hoses. Old style battery charger. Just some quick observations.

These really are different boats from your first choice, almost sounds like you are not sure.

Be aware that every boat is different, even the same years/models from the same makers.Each one should be considered on its own merit IMO.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm

vineyardgray wrote:Source of the post
... but making molded exterior steps to the bridge will block the engine access hatches on the cockpit and limit serviceability. It is really nice to be able to open all three hatches and have wide open access to both of the engines and the generator in one fell swoop.
<snip>

I'll bet if you were a bit creative you could make some steps, either as a single or a two-piece design, that would either hinge up and out of the way, or use some deck latches that would just hold them in place, but could be unhooked so you could just lift them out of the way to get to the engine hatches.

On our aft cabin, like many others, there is seating that covers the port engine hatch but it can be removed to get full access to the port side just like the starboard side. A little more work, but you get full access which is nice for maintenance issues.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 8:47 pm

If its the 1992 for 27k ish in Chesapeake City, it looks like a money pit as mentioned. Just from the pics, It has an interior mold problem.
The one in Baltimore for 35k looks to be worth a look if your interested in the aft cabin.
I can tell you we looked at accouple of these before we bought our 355. They are decent boats with a decent layout, but are actually a lot smaller than a 355 I guess that's why they sell for less.

Make certain you buy a boat that will be comfortable enough for you and your family or you will never be happy!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”