Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2005 41 CMY with Volvo 8.1Gi

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
DarkJester
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

2005 41 CMY with Volvo 8.1Gi

Postby DarkJester » May 23rd, 2024, 10:52 am

Good day Carver Yacht people!

I'm looking at a 2005 41 CMY with the 375HP 8.1Gi engines and after what I consider to be a thorough search (2 Hours) I can't find anybody with opinions on if the 8.1's are a good choice for this boat. Seems to me like they may be a little anemic for a 41ft boat @ ~24K lbs. I could be wrong, it's happened before.
OTOH 750HP sounds like a a fair cop. Is there another advantage to the Diesels other than low end torque and reduced Fuel Burn? Should I buy this boat and just enjoy it, or should I maybe save up some more money and get the 44 CMY with the Volvo diesels? The price point is very significant, like 100K. The 41 is in awesome shape with what appears to be some choice upgrades, and lot's of new stuff. I hate to miss out on a great boat just because of a misinformed apprehension about the Gas motors. Also, I'm Gas engine mechanically inclined, and the Diesels would be a learning experience, but not one I'm unwilling to undertake. I learn fast and like mechanics.
As for use, mostly it would be Lake/River use with the notion that I might want to do the Tenn/Tom to the Gulf and go to the Keys. I think that would be the ultimate Retirement Gift to myself, and sounds like an exciting adventure. This would be my 4th boat, so I'm no newbie, but would be my first "Big" boat, and I am certainly not arrogant enough to think I know everything.
I'm really torn here, any help?

Thanks,
Jester.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 2005 41 CMY with Volvo 8.1Gi

Postby bud37 » May 23rd, 2024, 11:26 am

Welcome to the forum........how many hours ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 23rd, 2024, 11:57 am

There will be some others on here with the same boat so thy will have 1st hand knowledge about the specifics. However my carver 405 is gas. It's apx 41ft and 27000lbs. Apx weight and length of the 41. I boat on the Tennessee River. Imo and my circumstances the gas was the better choice. The diesel boats were way more money. I could not see the benefit for me. Yes I know about the torque and fuel burn. But didn't see the math working out. I also work on my own gas engines and would have learned to do what I could on the diesels if I chose them. I dont have any issues moving my boat around with gas and get on plane fine if/when i want too. No its not a speed boat and i find very few occasions i need to travel that way. I would think if your plans are local outings and weekends out is the diesel price difference worth it? $100000 buys a lot of gasoline, There's gas boats doing the loop too . So if you like it put a offer and sea trial it and see what your thoughts are then. Good luck with your search.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 23rd, 2024, 1:30 pm

I own the same boat (2007) however with 370hp diesels. Like you said, diesels shine when it comes to fuel burn but they are very heavy. Gassers are easy to maintain and almost anyone with some mechanical skills can work on them, Diesels on the other hand need competent people which are hard to find in some areas such as mine. I am sure in Florida they are a dime a dozen.

That being said I do not see the boat as being underpowered with the 8.1 gas variety, our scoots along just fine on plane however most our travels are at hull speed. Diesels on this boat are actually quite rare in comparison to gas probably because this size/weight is still quite acceptable for 8.1 engines. Diesels are supposed to last 3-4 times as long however I cannot vouch for that as this is my first experience running french fry juice. :-D I do have 1400hrs on the boat with no mechanical issues.

As long as your intent is not to travel at high speeds for a couple hundred hours every season/year, there is no real reason to look for diesels on this boat IMHO.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
DarkJester
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby DarkJester » May 24th, 2024, 9:31 am

According to the add, 520 hours on the engines. I'm going to try to go put hands on it this weekend.

Thanks for all the responses. You've all been very helpful.
Sometimes you just need some like minded people to back you up, ya know?

Jester

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 24th, 2024, 9:58 am

DarkJester wrote:Source of the post According to the add, 520 hours on the engines. I'm going to try to go put hands on it this weekend.

Considering that, if you are slow cruisin they will probably be fine. The only thing is, resale will be lower when comes time to sell based on the hours on the gas engines, perception is everything to many.

Lets face it diesels are not all the same anymore. The older versions that lasted tens of thousands of hours were industrial type , low rpm, low hp , heavy frame.

My understanding of the new style high hp, higher rpm, light duty turbo engines are they don't last much longer than gas if beat on. You do get a bigger prop and more bite for docking control though.

Good luck with the viewing, be sure to try to get a engine survey and mechanic on the sea trial.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » May 25th, 2024, 10:27 am

Good luck! Sounds to me like you're going to travel at hull speed a lot more than full throttle. If that's the case, those gas engines will be just fine. The additional cost for diesels, if you could find one with low hours, is not necessary. Also, you did not mention the brand of the engines. I am a big fan of Crusaders, and Carver used a lot of those. Keep us informed on how things go. Every once in a while, the actual vessel is not what the marketing material discloses. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”