Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

366 in semi-rough weather?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
libertas
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

366 in semi-rough weather?

Postby libertas » December 1st, 2014, 8:38 am

I am very seriously considering the purchase of a 2003 366 for use in the northeast (coastal cruising). I anticipate going from new york harbor through long island sound out to block island and on to nantucket sound. Also, maybe from new york harbor south to LBI. Our family is quite seaworthy, and have been out in some pretty good blows (with a reasonable craft - mostly sail). The 366 really seems to fit our needs as far as space goes, but I am concerned about the flat deadrise (something like 18 degrees according some sites).

I took one out for a seatrial, but it was a pretty calm day so I didn't get much opportunity to test its seaworthyness out - other than criss-crossing its own wake. I don't think it is realistic to get a seatrial in the conditions I am concerned about - it was like pulling teeth just to get it out on a flat day.

Can anyone give me some real world information on how this handles in afternoon seas? 2-4 foot swells with whitecaps? crossing a ferry wake?

Anyone have experience with one of these in the areas I mentioned?

I really want to buy the boat, but I also don't want to get stuck at the dock just because of an afternoon chop.

I'm not talking about taking it out in a gale, just your everyday summer chop.

Is this really just a lake and river boat?

Thanks in advance.

- Capt. Rob

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: 366 in semi-rough weather?

Postby Lyndon670 » December 1st, 2014, 7:11 pm

Rob,

Friend of mine had the same boat, same year. He just sold it and purchased a cottage. We boat in Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay, Canada. I can tell you that Lake Simcoe is known and studied internationally for its ability to blow up storms almost instantly, and that Georgian Bay is virtually one of the Great Lakes itself - so 10-15 swells are not uncommon.

We were coming back from one of the Islands in Georgian Bay 3 summers ago and when we rounded a point between 2 islands we hit a point where the waves converged. We were hitting 6-8 footers with the occasional 10 spraying over the bridge. I had my Silverton 42 Convertible which was a serious blue water boat and took the waves no problem. His Carver also took the waves - his bridge was more wet than mine, and his back salon wet from the waves going vertical from the hullsides and running down the deck and under the wing doors. Other than that, he was fine - the boat pounded more, used more fuel to keep up, but it was capable.

You will be fine with this boat for what you want. Choose your day as you would normally.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
libertas
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby libertas » December 3rd, 2014, 3:50 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Rob,

Georgian Bay is virtually one of the Great Lakes itself - so 10-15 swells are not uncommon.

While I appreciate your feedback, I must question your characterization of Georgian Bay. Georgian Bay was discovered by Champlain, who originally called it "La Mer Douce" - literally - "The Calm Sea"

10 - 15 foot swells? Those are HUGE! Are you sure you aren't (wildly) over-estimating? Or are swells in this area more like open water swells that have a very long wavelength and although the peaks and valleys are 10 feet apart, you barely notice them flowing under your boat?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » December 3rd, 2014, 4:26 pm

libertas

Not wanting to get into an argument, please. But let me tell you, I've boated in the Atlantic and the Pacific. I also have boated in Lake Michigan. Georgian Bay would be very similar to Lake Michigan. Look up the ship wrecks in the Great Lakes. i.e. Edmund Fitzgerald

The lakes can be very violent, with wave frequency in the 3 second or less range. Just the other day we had 17 footers. A few weeks before that, 28 footers. A couple of years ago, a rogue wave took down the lighthouse on the south pier that have been there for decades.

I've had PV out in reported 6-8 footers. And this is a boat built for the North Channel in England. I've also been on the Pacific in 8 footers with a 28 Carver.
You know what, 8 footers on 15 second intervals is a breeze compared to 6-8 footers on 3 second intervals.

The 2807 also had something like a 18 degree deadrise. In a chop it pounded a bit. In bigger water on Lake Michigan, it did not ride like my Cougar which has a very deep vee, but it was certainly not unpleasant. We took a trip after we bought the 2807 and went from New Buffalo to Mackinac and back. Son was 16 months old when we went. On the way back down, we came around Big Sable point while in mostly 1-2 footers and went head on into 8 footers. He was sleeping, he slept through the whole thing but when we pulled into Ludington and got into calm water in the channel, that's when he woke up.

Anyway, probably did not change your mind on the docility (is that a word?) of the lakes, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » December 3rd, 2014, 6:43 pm

Libertas,

Let me qualify.

I am a police officer and am a Tactical Flight Officer in a police helicopter. We do Search and Rescue with the Coasties in Lake Ontario, Lake Scugog and Lake Simcoe. When I am off my flying rotation, I work in our Marine unit in these lakes.

No exaggeration.

Google "SS EDMUND FITZGERALD", and you will find the story of a 729ft Lake Freighter - THAT SANK IN 35ft SEAS in the same area.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”