Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 Mariner - some questions/comments

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Re: 350 Mariner - some questions/comments

Postby feeez » March 29th, 2016, 11:06 am

mattisk wrote:Source of the post Im looking at a 1998 carver mariner with merc 7.4 MPIs. Test ran yesterday and port had 3300 rpms and the starboard had 3500 Wot maxed out at 18.2knot. Anyone know what is normal?

I have a 2001 with 350 MAG MPI's. I have had it up to 24 knots at about 4000RPM. The 350's are 300HP per side. Bear in mind that for a 35 foot boat your are moving around 20,000 lbs. depending on how she is loaded. It is a different animal than a comparable length express cruiser. We use ours more like you would a trawler, 8 to 9 knots ,autopilot on, enjoying the scenery :captain:

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Agriman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby Agriman » April 3rd, 2016, 1:17 pm

I have a 350 Mariner 1998 with 7.4 XL Crusader engines. WOT shows 4400 rpm and we cruise at 3400 or about 16 knots. I believe I have 20 inch Nibral props. Hope this helps you.

floydsfloat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 mariner 350

Postby floydsfloat » April 18th, 2016, 8:43 am

2000 350 mariner with volvo 5.7gxi motors. 23 knots wot at 4400 rpm.

Our usual cruise, just up on plane at 14.1 knots..31-3200 rpm.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » April 18th, 2016, 3:50 pm

1998 Marnier 350, 7.4xLI turning 20x20 props.
Run at 3600 doing anywhere from 20mph to 23mph, depending on tide and wind.
I’ve never pushed to WOT, 3800rpm is as far as I’ve pushed it, I see no need.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » June 11th, 2016, 9:48 pm

I thought I would revive this thread about water in the forward bilge.

I noticed during my spring cleaning that there are drain holes where the engine compartment covers rest in. Mine were plugged with various genres of crap!! We cleaned them out and any water that was sprayed around there drained through two through hulls port and starboard. Since then the bilge in the engine area has been bone dry... and that pesky area in the forward bilge. Last night we had a mother of a thunder storm with heavy rain. We checked the engine area and the forward bilge..... water in both..... checked those drain holes.... plugged with compound dust from the buffing project of the week.

Theory.... Plugged drain holes = water in the aft bilge... forward leaning boat = water in the forward bilge!!!

cheers
Fraser

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » June 14th, 2016, 11:24 am

Fraser; because we had lots of time, we also tried the trawler speeds on a trip last August, and could not believe how little fuel we used. Compared to our on-plane cruising speeds, it was a tremendous difference.

http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/mercury-mercruiser-3.0-181-fuel-consumption-us-gallons

I believe this is link shows a fairly accurate estimate.

Visiting Henry's, San Souci Island, Georgian Bay, 2015
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » June 14th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Nice Pic Steve...

We were up there last summer. We left Pentang with full tanks and went up to Killbear and menandered around Port Rawson and other points on the way back for almost 2 weeks. Got home with more than half tanks which also included a fair bit of generator time.
That little boat tied next to you at the dock... if that is a green kind of home made looking Trawler they are from our Marina..... small world.

We are heading up to Pointe Au Baril this weekend for a few days.

Cheers
Fraser

TonyC
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby TonyC » June 29th, 2016, 9:22 am

feeez wrote:Source of the post I thought I would revive this thread about water in the forward bilge.

I noticed during my spring cleaning that there are drain holes where the engine compartment covers rest in. Mine were plugged with various genres of crap!! We cleaned them out and any water that was sprayed around there drained through two through hulls port and starboard. Since then the bilge in the engine area has been bone dry... and that pesky area in the forward bilge. Last night we had a mother of a thunder storm with heavy rain. We checked the engine area and the forward bilge..... water in both..... checked those drain holes.... plugged with compound dust from the buffing project of the week.

Theory.... Plugged drain holes = water in the aft bilge... forward leaning boat = water in the forward bilge!!!

cheers
Fraser

Also had the same problem with standing water forward of the battery packs. This past weekend checked the two drain holes on the cover rails. Both plugged with dirt, dog fur and whatever ended-up on the deck. Hand bailed the bilge and clean out both drains and the rails. So far no new water. Will check again during the 4th of July weekend.

Later,

TonyC

United States of America
Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998. Mariner 350 . Twin 7.4 engines / kholer 6.5 gas Genset

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » July 17th, 2016, 6:47 pm

My forward bilge was also collecting water, I found out that my water heater was getting to hot and it was purging water into that compartment via the pressure relief valve
1998 350 Mariner

United States of America
Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998. Mariner 350 . Twin 7.4 engines / kholer 6.5 gas Genset

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » July 17th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Curious if anybody uses they're Mariner off shore? Really curious how this boat would do in open waters and against larger waves?
1998 350 Mariner

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”