Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1989 Aft cleat

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
30CarverLI
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 38Ft Carver AFT MY

1989 Aft cleat

Postby 30CarverLI » May 18th, 2016, 1:40 pm

I have a 38ft 1989 Carver Aft MY and am trying to find out how to access my aft cleats (especially the port one) which have loosened up and I want to reseal and then tighten down before I damage my gel coat.

Thanks Dave

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: 1989 Aft cleat

Postby mjk1040 » May 19th, 2016, 2:45 am

Well Dave, if they are screwed down, you may have to remove them, epoxy the screw holes, re-drill them the correct size and screw them back down. Now, if they are bolted down, which I doubt, but may be, and you can't access them from the aft cabin ceiling, I would suggest imbedding flush mount speed nuts. Have you tried just tighten them? Maybe able to reseal and tighten with a little epoxy in the screw holes. Hope I helped you out. Let us know what you find out. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author
30CarverLI
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 30CarverLI » May 19th, 2016, 8:51 am

Thanks Mike, I assumed they were bolted and not just screwed because they are a little lose. I have tied to tighten them but they just spin which make me think the bolt is rusty. I was trying to avoid taking the ceiling cover down but that make be my only choice. Thanks for the quick response, I'll let you know what I find.
Dave

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » May 19th, 2016, 10:03 am

Carver made a selling/advertising point that cleats had backing plates and are through-bolted back in the 80s. So I would guess you have bolts and a plate too. Good news - it's solid. :approve: Bad news - hard to tighten when they get loose. :cry:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 19th, 2016, 11:08 pm

I haven't looked but I suspect access is gained from the section protruding from the ceiling over the bed on the port side fore to aft. It also serves as a race for the shore power cabling and lighting assuming you're talking about a 3807. There is a gap between the casing and the side where curtains and rope lighting run (in my boat). The ceiling in that area is carpeted. If you feel around the aft port corner while pushing up, you may feel the nuts behind the carpet if they are in that gap, otherwise they are in the casing as I described above. I've never had that section removed so I'm not sure of how to remove it but it may simply be held in place by the Xmas tree plastic fasteners in which case a good tug in some key areas would do the trick.

Topic author
30CarverLI
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 30CarverLI » May 31st, 2016, 2:45 pm

Thanks for all the reply's a few things I can check or do.

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » May 31st, 2016, 3:21 pm

New to Carver but not new to boats. I have never seen a cleat screwed down so I will assume Carver has them bolted through also. You will find either a fender washer or backing plate on the other side and normally a nylock nut. Time to rip out some ceiling, usually easy once you find the attachment points. :captain:

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”