Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1984 Aft Cabin 3607 Windlass Locker

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
ktmccabe
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

1984 Aft Cabin 3607 Windlass Locker

Postby ktmccabe » July 13th, 2016, 9:55 am

I recently purchased a 1984 Aft Cabin 3607. Unfortunately, the previous owner had passed away before I bought it.
I have been making general repairs and decided to have the " Good Automatic Windlass" rebuilt by Tom at Good. I also purchased new 5/8" rope from Good.
The old rope looks to be stored behind two cabinet doors in the bow of the V-birth. I do not notice any drain holes, only vents from above to allow air in. Is this the correct placement?
As I inspect the boat, I also notice a compartment, under the cushions of the v-birth. It is toward the bow and it has a drain hole. It also has a 2" tube that runs from the deck to allow ventilation, any idea what this compartment would be used for?
Keith

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 1984 Aft Cabin 3607 Windlass Locker

Postby waybomb » July 13th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Pull all the rope out. I am sure there is a drain for the anchor line locker. I've had three Carvers and they all had a drain.

On our current Carver, the forward ac unit is under the berth. Did yours used to have an AC under there? I have no idea why there would be a vent to the deck area. Could the 2" tube have been for a fresh water tank under the berth?

Just thinking out loud......
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author United States of America
ktmccabe
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby ktmccabe » July 17th, 2016, 10:26 pm

waybomb, Thank you for your response.
I keep looking at the upper cabinet(behind the 2 cabinet doors, where the old rode was stored. It made no sense why you would store wet rode in behind wood cabinet doors and with electrical equipment. I also mentioned the second (2nd) compartment that was below the bedding of the v- birth.. I believe I have figured it out.
The Good Automatic Windlass was added on later to the boat, not from the factory. The Good windlass retrieves the rode and it goes down a hole drilled in the deck. That hole and storage area is the upper cabinet I mentioned behind the cabinet doors. There is no drain in this area. This is where I found original rode stowed.
I discovered that one of the vents (starboard) is connected to a 2" tube that starts at the deck, lowers into the storage unit (above mentioned) and then continues down to the second (2nd) compartment under v birth bedding. This is the original rode access to the lower (below v birth bedding) rode storage compartment with drain hole.
I am going to find a flange that is the ID of the original rode hose, I am removing the windlass, inserting flange from deck side in the rode hole under the windlass. removing the rode storage locker hose that is connected to what I thought was the starboard vent and reconnect it to the new flange under windlass. This will allow rode to be retrieved and the rode will go into the hose and down to the correct rode storage locker.
Thank you for setting me on the path to correcting my problem. Keith

Mariah's Song
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin
220 Crusaders
Home Port: Marina Del Rey
Orillia, Ontario

Postby Mariah's Song » September 7th, 2016, 3:00 pm

My 3007's rode locker was indeed behind the 2 cabinet doors in the bow cabin. Every other Carver of that vintage had the same arrangement. Mine had a drain and I thought that was the same across the board. I can't help but think you'll have problems with tangles running through a pipe. Let us know how your system works out, please.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » September 7th, 2016, 7:22 pm

Keith;
Check outside on the port side of the bow for a small chrome clam shell, I will be surprised there's not one, but if not, you have an unique anchor locker! Or somewhere along its 32 years of service someone may have plugged it do to repairs and forgot to put it back in? Interesting to say the least? Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”