Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sole Tv replacement

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
Sailinaway
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 07 Carver 41 CMY

Sole Tv replacement

Postby Sailinaway » April 21st, 2017, 3:11 pm

I am wanting to remove/replace our tvs in our 2007 CMY. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the wooden fram to get to the mounting bracket. Any recommendations?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Sole Tv replacement

Postby tomschauer » April 21st, 2017, 10:07 pm

try pushing the tv back a bit. The screws most likely will be in the inside edges of the trim.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 22nd, 2017, 5:56 am

Problem is they built a box, installed the TV bracket and then the TV was attached. Then they screwed this assembly to the back side of the cabinet face with angles all around the box with about 30 screws which blocks all access to remove the TV. Then they installed the cabinet! FYI, The finishing frame/molding around the opening is glued in place. In other words, you would need to remove the cabinet, unscrew all the screws in the angles holding the TV box in place and then the TV. Yes I know, not much thought went into this installation.

There is no easy way to remove this. You need to access the 2 pivot bolts located above and below the TV. In you picture you can see the head of the lower pivot bolt just below the TV controls. Problem is there is also a nylock nut you need to get to in order to remove them. I pulled very hard from the side knowing the TV was going in the garbage anyway and managed somehow the squeeze my hand back there and remove the bolt/nut. I cursed and swore more than I should have but finally managed to get the TV out.

Once out I can tell you nothing will fit the existing opening so I modified it by cutting out to a larger size to accommodate a 28" tv. I finished the cutout with black anodized aluminum trim. The TV is mounted to a swing out bracket. I also installed a shelf in the cabinet to allow for storage in all that unused space behind the TV. Will snap a shot for you as I am going to the boat this morning.

I also removed the stereo/DVD player and enlarged that opening in the same fashion to accommodate a Bose solo 5 speaker as all these new flat TVs simply sound terrible. Replaced the DVD with a small home style Sony unit located behind the TV on the shelf. The stereo was replaced with a blackbox Fusion multi zone and now resides in the DC control panel to the right of the TV behind the door. Yep, been quite busy modifying things to my liking but almost there. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
AndiamoSeattle
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006, Carver 4137 CMY, Originally commissioned in 2008, it has spent its last 10 years in the Puget Sound, WA. She features the Volvo-Penta D6, 310 diesel motors (485hr.), 3 zone AC/ Heat pumps, fresh water wash down in bow, bow and stern thruster, 8.0KW Kohler generator, 2/ 30amp shore power input from either mid-ship or stern plugins. Bridge refrigerator ice maker, electric galley featuring an electric oven.

Postby AndiamoSeattle » July 16th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Hans,
Really enjoy your comments and pictures of the modifications you have made to the 41 CMY. I too am frustrated with the TV installs Carver made. Any pictures you can provide would be appreciated.
By the way did you install AC/DC T.V.'s and associated DVD players, I hate running the generator.
Also have you considered an inverter and a second bank of batteries. In the Pacific Northwest its rare not to have them?
Jeff

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 16th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I am running a dvd player, satellite receiver, TV, Intellian satellite box and a few other gizmos. All are 110v units. Have installed a smaller 400watt pure sine wave inverter in the same hole behind the tv to which a couple of power bars are connected. I am able to run all my stuff no issues. If you look at my DC panel picture you will see I installed a 50a breaker labeled inverter which supplies/controls the inverter. Basically it is always on. Also installed a standard dual 110v receptacle where the telephone socket was which is also connected to the inverter so I do have an outlet for plugging in various charger and the sort. This is what I used as an inverter however any one will do but I do recommend a pure sine wave as opposed to modified, been there done that. ;-) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nature-Powe ... /204166875

My house bank consists of dual 6v Trojan L16-AC's (https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/l16h-ac/) giving me a total of 435AH @ 12v. Now considering I have 300 watts of solar panel which keeps things from wearing down quickly at anchor during the day I honestly have more than enough for my needs. Much prefer this to a larger battery bank. I will never have a no start issue as each engine has it's own, both bow and stern thruster have their own and the genny also has it's own. Lots of juice below deck. :approve:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » July 16th, 2018, 9:22 pm

I spoke with Carver about this issue. The tech said to take the surround trim pieces off very carefully using a putty knife. He said it would take some time but after they were off, taking the TV out is much easier. Once out, replacement (as was mentioned previously) will not fit due to change in aspect ratio.

I have yet to do it since I am backed up with installing an inverter, repairing an icemaker, etc.

Once completed I will let the you know how it goes.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 17th, 2018, 4:02 am

Not sure how removing the trim will help since the "TV box" is held in place via angles screwed in from the back side which are not accessible from the front even with the trim removed. Once you finally manage to get the TV out, I suggest you open up the backside of the TV box with a saws-all in order to get to the 30 + screws holding it in place. Regardless, anxious to see how things go for you.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 17th, 2018, 9:37 am

Hans, is there a chance we could get you to move up to Georgian bay....we need a complete entertainment refit.. :-D ....good stuff man, very informative reading....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 17th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I was up there a couple of years ago doing the Trent, to bad you missed me. :-D Went all the way to Tobermory, beautiful area but watch out for the rocks. :captain:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 17th, 2018, 5:07 pm

The rocks are what keep ya young... :-O ...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”