Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 355 rear platform access

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
Elliott
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 355 aft. 1998
registered boat name, Point Zero
Location: From Montreal , Canada, Boat in 1000 islands Ontario canada

Carver 355 rear platform access

Postby Elliott » April 30th, 2017, 8:21 pm

I have written and asked about access to the after section of the platform since I joined this group a year ago after I bought my newer boat.
This all had to do with mounting my Surfjet on the rear, as well as how to reinforce davits etc.
To summarize, I spent 3-4 hours last year by reaching through the access port on starboard, to line up 4 nuts on bolts that were about 25" inside the platform. I used an extension piece of wood with brackets bolted onto my socket wrench so that I would not lose them in the bilge of the platform, as well as a 4 foot piece of rope leading to a cleat.
Carver does not gelcoat the inside of the platform. No body does. My arm eventually looked like a meat grinder had hit it, but I got the job done, strictly by feel of the wrench and nut contacting the protruding bolt.

Any way, that is old news.
The good news I learned this weekend was that behind the bed, on port, there is what looked like a pull tab on the headboard. I followed the design around the cabin and realized that the left side bolster / Valance under the side window has 6 small Phillips head screws (which are murder to get to, as nobody has a tool that small. Then the rear bolster comes out , by slowly peeling it off the velcro, and finally the 2x3 foot panel will pull out as well,
Now the back is open, you can access the cable locker, the auxiliary fuel tank, which I didn't know I had, and the exhausts.
Oh, and my favourite wrench did fall off last year and I really missed that size 1/4. and 3/8 ratchet. It wasn't the money, but it killed me to know it was sitting there on starboard all year and I COULDNT GET TO IT.
SOME PHOTOS

BOAT REAR FROM LEFT.jpg.
AFT ROOM OPENED.jpg
REAR TANK UNDER PLATFORM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elliott
Point Zero

See our band, Switchback,
Light my fire 2012, finale,with Robbie Krieger of THE DOORS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcQq7-YWnDE company

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver 355 rear platform access

Postby tomschauer » April 30th, 2017, 11:34 pm

Nice pics. Supposedly, the aft fuel tank can be removed through there, although it looks pretty tight on my 98 355.

Topic author
Elliott
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Elliott » May 2nd, 2017, 12:58 am

why, have you thought of removing the tank? Did you ever use it?
The boat sits middle heavy as if it needs the rear ballast , at 100 gallons thats about 600 lbs.
my previous owner never used it as he thought the aux tank was under the rear bed, and he didn't want the fumes, or so he told me
Elliott
Point Zero

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 2nd, 2017, 1:29 pm

My tank was replaced by the previous owner when the boat was about three years old. According to the receipt it was a 5k repair due to a leaking tank.
Yes, I do use mine. If the previous owner didn't use it, I may be leaking. Check it before use. I believe these were notorious for leaking.

csdaman2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin. Twin 454 Crusader's. Vessel Documented with the name "Justified"

Postby csdaman2 » May 2nd, 2017, 2:17 pm

When I bought my 1996 355 A/C I was told by the broker and surveyor that the rear (aux) tank was inoperable. I had it checked for fuel (tank was empty) sealed it and I don't think about it any more. I'm surprised that it does seem common on the 355. For my boating I'm good with 218 gallons. csdaman

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » May 2nd, 2017, 6:09 pm

Thanks Elliott, info great to know. BTW did you resurface the back steps from the swim platform to the back deck. If so, what did you resurface them with?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 2nd, 2017, 7:06 pm

Thats a lot you got going on there on the platform, looks good ......hmmm that dinghy looks familiar, don't see many of those..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author
Elliott
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Elliott » May 3rd, 2017, 7:11 am

ere notorious for leaking.[/quote]
Hi All, I thought I would see. notifications of responses, but did not know I had to log in to verify ,so, I am responding to all of you here.
1 I did not resurface my rear steps, as I did not see the need to.They have carpets which snap on top which I remove when it rains , as it takes 2 days to dry.
2.I am amazed that the tank can be removed as one would have to remove all the panels and probably the walls of the head on starboard as well.
3 How could a solid stainless tank leak, unless it was just the fittings?
4. it might not be visible if you do not know what you are looking foreign the pictures, but I did see in the rear that a stainless steel bracket on about a 15" threaded rod, was off the top of the tank way over on starboard. I recognize this as a hold down strap. There was also a 3 " x 15" 1/4 " piece of black rubber in the bilge which I know is the strap cushion. So, I am having doubts about the previous owners story about never using the fuel tank due to fear of smell in aft cabin. Might be true, , might be what he was told as 3rd owner, or it might be another issue. It was my plan to fill it as reserve this year just for the ballast idea but now I am concerned that if I do, there could be other issues, and that could ruin a season, just in waiting for clearing up the mess. I did not, see where the far end of the hold down strap was supposed to be attached. I am still shocked at reading " act the tanks are notorious for leaking"

5 That thing across the back is a Surfjet, not the dinghy. It weighs about 125 lb and is the most fun toy on the water. The reason I want to change the dinghy set up. is because I have to launch the dinghy before I can load the surfeit off the back. And, with weaver flip downs, I have to remove and install the engine each time. Having the board at the rear takes up valuable space but it was better than mounting it up on the foredeck, as it would have been hard to install the winch, would have probably led to cabin leaks, and would have had to have a longer reach over the sides. Now it blocks my deck locker a bit but I set it up to at least be able to reach in for stuff

Is there a means for a surveyor to test the integrity of the rear tank before I were to start using it
Elliott
Point Zero

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 3rd, 2017, 9:02 am

Elliott wrote:Source of the post
Is there a means for a surveyor to test the integrity of the rear tank before I were to start using it

It could definitely be pressure tested. That would confirm whether there is any leaks now, but I'd be concerned if they are "notorious" for developing leaks that you might have one in the future once it got filled. I'd want to know a lot more about the actual failure mode of those tanks. Did they corrode because it was in contact with dissimilar metals in the hold-down mechanism? Were there poor welds? Were there bad gaskets/seals? Inquiring minds want to know!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 3rd, 2017, 9:27 am

Somewhere on here there are pictures and stories of failed tanks, (mostly with several pinholes on the bottom) and stories of their replacement. The tanks are aluminum, not stainless. As with anything else, all are not created equally. If I recall correctly many of the failures were mid - late 90's. Most likely the tanks were purchased from a supplier for less $, and a thinner gauge construction (just a guess). Possibly shavings from other construction of the boat under the tanks causes the failures? again, just an idea.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”