Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel transfer

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
Lennn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 2001 444

Fuel transfer

Postby Lennn » May 7th, 2017, 9:01 am

Hey everybody, I just purchased a 2001 444 and tried to equalize the fuel by opening the valves at the bottom of the fuel tanks. Nothing happens. There is a fuel transfer pump braker, but I cant find a pump for it anywhere. If anybody has any info on this I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks Lennn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fuel transfer

Postby Viper » May 7th, 2017, 9:17 am

Congrats on the purchase. Just a thought here; if the lines are coming off the bottom of the tanks, you may not have a pump. Opening the valves may simply allow each tank's level to equalize with the other. Can you visually follow the line from one tank to the other? Did you try looking behind the starboard engine on the bulkhead? That's where I've seen them before. Perhaps someone with the same model year will chime in.

Topic author
Lennn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lennn » May 7th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Thanks Viper! The lines turn toward each other but disappear in a bundle of lines. I wouldn't see a need for a pump either except that nothing seems to happen and i have left them open for hours. I even removed both fuel caps to make sure there was no air lock issues. Kind of befuddling. The fact that there is actually a breaker for that pump leads me to believe the pump exists only because there are many blanks and every other breaker actually is connected. I need to remove the electrical panels to replace all the bulbs behind them. I can see if there are wires attached at that time, but that may not mean anything either.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 7th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Have you ruled out a faulty fuel gage?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 7th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Are there actually fitting on the bottom sides of your tanks? I thought that was a "no-no" in marine fuel tanks. Is your 444 diesel?

If you have a fuel transfer pump, how does it prevent overfilling? How would it know which pump is the 'from' and which is the 'to' tank?

I've thought about putting one on my boat but then think of those kind of complications.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 7th, 2017, 10:35 pm

A friend of mine has a Regal diesel with the fuel transfer pump. On the dash he has a momentary contact switch to move the fuel left to right or visa versa. To better explain, you need to be at the helm, and turn and hold the switch in the direction you want the fuel to flow. Ideally, you would be monitoring your fuel tank gauges at the same time.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 7th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Here is the owners manual for the 444...2002 but my guess the same....page 39..check it out......hope this helps....... :beergood:

http://www.carveryachts.com/media/4010/ ... _02-v1.pdf
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 8th, 2017, 6:49 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post A friend of mine has a Regal diesel with the fuel transfer pump. On the dash he has a momentary contact switch to move the fuel left to right or visa versa. To better explain, you need to be at the helm, and turn and hold the switch in the direction you want the fuel to flow. Ideally, you would be monitoring your fuel tank gauges at the same time.

+1

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Are there actually fitting on the bottom sides of your tanks? I thought that was a "no-no" in marine fuel tanks. Is your 444 diesel?....

+1
And as I mentioned, if there's lines on the bottom of the tank there would be no reason for a pump. If there's a pump, I assume it's a diesel app. Pretty sure the option is for diesel only. Have never seen one in a gasoline app. I suspect it's a safety issue. With the tank selector valves option, you can run both engines off the same tank (within reason) and accomplish the same thing.

Topic author
Lennn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lennn » May 31st, 2017, 11:03 pm

Hey guys thanks for the info. Sorry haven't checked this for a while. Been a little busy...lol. There is a crossover line on the bottom of both tanks, but it doesnt seem to do anything when open. Yes they are diesel. There is a breaker installed in the 12v panel but I see no switch on the dash. I even left the fuel caps off when I opened the valves to make sure there wasn't a vacuum issue. Maybe there is a clog in the line?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 1st, 2017, 6:54 am

Either they are not equalizing for some reason or you are getting an incorrect reading at one of your gauges.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”