Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sliding Boat Sideways - no thrusters

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Sliding Boat Sideways - no thrusters

Postby amanphoto » July 8th, 2017, 11:46 am

I watched a video on youtube where the captain of the boat was explaining a technique for moving your boat sideways without the use of a bow or stern thruster. He was saying that if you crank your rudders all the way to on side and engage your engines one if forward and the other one in reverse - your boat will move sideways. I've tried it with my boat, but It kind of worked. I'm not sure if my rudders are to small. Any one else familiar with the maneuver?

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Re: Sliding Boat Sideways - no thrusters

Postby SanJuanDreamer » July 8th, 2017, 12:10 pm

I have the same boat.
I've tried it and thought I wasn't doing it correctly and I think our rudders are too small for that trick.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 8th, 2017, 7:05 pm

One thing I have noticed with this boat is it backs up towards the stbd side....so I think the stbd walk might be easier.....all my other boats have had keels and were quite easy to handle........I would be interested to see how this boat would handle if you added a keel with no other changes.
Perhaps the guy with the instruction had a boat with a keel, I believe that would help ....of course larger rudders would help with that manoeuvre as well.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 9th, 2017, 3:14 pm

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post I watched a video on youtube where the captain of the boat was explaining a technique for moving your boat sideways without the use of a bow or stern thruster. He was saying that if you crank your rudders all the way to on side and engage your engines one if forward and the other one in reverse - your boat will move sideways. I've tried it with my boat, but It kind of worked. I'm not sure if my rudders are to small. Any one else familiar with the maneuver?

If your rudders are large enough to be able to dock your boat, they're large enough to do this. Sometimes it takes a bit of throttle. This is especially true if your boat has gas engines. With Diesels swinging larger props, they move a bit more water at low RPMs.

There are a couple ways to do this. Let's say you want to move the boat sideways to the starboard side, as if you were pulling up to a seawall. Put the wheel hard to PORT, then with the PORT engine in fwd, the boat will try to make a port turn with the stern being pushed to starboard. Put the STARBOARD engine in reverse to counter the turn and any forward movement of the boat. The starboard rudder will have no effect as the boat is not moving forward or back, but the PORT rudder will be pushing the stern to the starboard. Teh bow will be held in place by the starboard engine. You can vary throttle on either engine to keep the boat parallel to the seawall as it is approaching the seawall.

Another way is to again put the wheel hard to port, but then just use the starboard engine back and forth from reverse to forward. This is slower than the method above, but useful if you only have one engine to work with.

Another method: Center the rudder. Use the "two step dance" approach. Still intending to go starboard:, put the PORT engine in forward, then a few seconds later, put the STARBOARD engine in forward. Then, before the boat moves too much forward, put the PORT engine in reverse.. wait a few seconds, then put the STARBOARD engine in reverse. When the boat starts backing, then repeat the process... PORT in forward, then a few seconds later, the STARBOARD in forward. Each time the boat will inch sideways.

If your boat is not moving straight back when you are backing with both engines, either your RPMs are not matched or your rudder is not centered. It only takes the rudder to be off by just a slight amount of center to cause this to happen. They have 10x the effect when they are in front of the boat (which is where they're at when you're backing), then they do normally at the stern when going forward.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”