Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Mariner 350 Engine Room Hatches

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver Mariner 350 Engine Room Hatches

Postby bud37 » February 24th, 2019, 11:06 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Geoff can you please post a few images. I use Bud's boat hook method to check oil. When doing real work, ideally a two man job to remove and get them off the boat. I am not thrilled with any of that.

What access do you have from lifting the inside stairs on your model ? On ours we can check the oil from just the center hatch.....I like the idea of the stairs lifting.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » February 24th, 2019, 11:32 am

[url][URL=https://s1306.photobucket.com/user/darrenlife/media/2999E721-81F6-473F-B549-75573817163E_zpsoermbh06.jpeg.html]Image[/url][/url]
My boat neighbor has a 2004 360 Mariner and had to rebuild his hatches last year. They are balsa cored and figured the water intrusion started as a result of the hatches binding when lifting them out from underneath the door hinge.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » February 24th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Hey bud, lifting stairs provides access to forward engine room to check tranny fluid. Center line hatch does not provide adequate access to dip sticks. Easiest for me to kneel on center and 'prop' either port or starboard hatch to check oil. It is what it is.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 25th, 2019, 9:07 am

What I have found regarding the aft deck hatches.......the hatch pulls to lift the hatches were just drilled thru ( that section where the pulls are is mostly glass but some core ) and not sealed, it leaked like a sieve thru there and also got the engine room insulation on the back side soaking wet.

I sealed both of them completely and installed a different type hatch pull, now the foam is bone dry and no leaks, I would bet the coring is much better off as well. Something to look at for people with the same model that has those round knob type pulls. They may have been altered in later models I can only hope....the carpet snaps were not sealed either...... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 27th, 2019, 11:13 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Hey bud, lifting stairs provides access to forward engine room to check tranny fluid. Center line hatch does not provide adequate access to dip sticks. Easiest for me to kneel on center and 'prop' either port or starboard hatch to check oil. It is what it is.

Yup...we have different engines I see........I really am going to have to look closely at the newer model like yours to see how they made that stair section lift, maybe something that could be retro-fitted ?? One needs to be a real gumby to get to the trans etc on my model.... :-O ....it is also interesting you have one more step down.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » February 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Bud I will try to remember to take a plethora of images detailing the stair design once she is wet and has power. The power stairs certainly gives one access to forward engine compartment. Checking tranny fluid on port side is a piece of cake while starboard sill requires some acrobatic acumen.

United States of America
Mn car guy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner
7.4 Crusader Xl

Postby Mn car guy » March 5th, 2022, 12:29 pm

darrenlife wrote:Source of the post [url][URL=https://s1306.photobucket.com/user/darrenlife/media/2999E721-81F6-473F-B549-75573817163E_zpsoermbh06.jpeg.html]Image[/url][/url]
My boat neighbor has a 2004 360 Mariner and had to rebuild his hatches last year. They are balsa cored and figured the water intrusion started as a result of the hatches binding when lifting them out from underneath the door hinge.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but could you post some photos of this?

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”