Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Mariner 350 Engine Room Hatches

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Carver Mariner 350 Engine Room Hatches

Postby amanphoto » October 9th, 2017, 8:24 am

Has any one converted a Carver Mariner 350 Engine Room Hatches to hinged with piston assist? When ever I want to go into the engine area I have to lift and move away the large cumbersome engine hatches. There has to be a better way. I was thinking of putting hinges on them like the center hatch has. Thoughts?

Thanks

Canada
Agriman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner Twin 454 Crusaders

Re: Carver Mariner 350 Engine Room Hatches

Postby Agriman » October 9th, 2017, 10:43 am

They really are a pain in the butt. A while back someone posted a picture with hinges and a piston assist installed, but he had to change out the hinges on the aft entry door so the engine cover would have room to lift. You might find the posting in a search of the archives. I decided it wasn't worth the effort

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » October 9th, 2017, 3:59 pm

I consider moving them as part of my exercise program.... ;-)

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 9th, 2017, 6:37 pm

I was considering the same thing with the hinges with the only difference being to simply prop them open the same way I do now with the boat hook or mop.....its just too dangerous moving those hatches around......hinges from the factory would have been a nice consideration don't you think. Maybe with the hinges placed correctly it might be possible to seal the hatches properly..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 9th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Not sure if it will help in your situation, but I was thinking of doing something to help access too.

In my salon (3607 aft cabin) I have 6 sections that open. The middle section comes completely out and is usually easy to access. There are two large panels, over the port and starboard engine, that are hinged and open outwards. Then there are two smaller panels fwd and aft of the middle section, that are also hinged and open to the bow and stern.

The Port hatch is located under the two couch sections I have. I was wondering if I could mount them both on a panel and then use 4 electric linear motors to raise them straight up, with enough clearance so I could open the hatch above the Port engine. It would make maintenance so much easier and even the little periodic checks simple.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » October 9th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Agree..... 100%, they are bad news. I had one fall and hit me once. Luckily it hit me on the head so no real damage :banghead:

Seriously though some hinges would be good idea you would need a pretty robust gas assist to support those babies.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » October 10th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Great thought....
The hinges similar to the generated hatch with a holding device.
Will have to look at princes auto for a support system.

Canada
Geoff
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 36 Mariner
!000 Islands National Park, Canada

Postby Geoff » February 17th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Hi, I have a 2005 36 Mariner and put hinges on the engine hatches last fall. They are way too heavy and awkward to keep shifting around. I did change the hinges on the transom door, not a big deal, just get new stainless steel hinges that go flat. I used the some type of hinge on the hatches, two for each. I will be installing gas lifts this spring, essentially to hold the hatches in the vertical position much like the centre hatch. The hinges work really well, made it a lot easier to winterize the engines, just propped the hatched up with a pole, but the gas lifts will be nice. It will make it a lot easier to do basic oil checks etc. since I will not have to move the hatches around t get in there.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » February 17th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Geoff wrote:Source of the post Hi, I have a 2005 36 Mariner and put hinges on the engine hatches last fall. They are way too heavy and awkward to keep shifting around. I did change the hinges on the transom door, not a big deal, just get new stainless steel hinges that go flat. I used the some type of hinge on the hatches, two for each. I will be installing gas lifts this spring, essentially to hold the hatches in the vertical position much like the centre hatch. The hinges work really well, made it a lot easier to winterize the engines, just propped the hatched up with a pole, but the gas lifts will be nice. It will make it a lot easier to do basic oil checks etc. since I will not have to move the hatches around t get in there.

Geoff, did you cut the edge of the hatch so it doesn't bind when you open it?

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » February 21st, 2019, 11:12 am

Geoff can you please post a few images. I use Bud's boat hook method to check oil. When doing real work, ideally a two man job to remove and get them off the boat. I am not thrilled with any of that.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”