Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

355 water in bilge

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

355 water in bilge

Postby jcoll » January 9th, 2018, 10:57 am

I couldn't find any posts on this subject when I did a search. I have a '98 355 and I've had water collecting in the bilge in the aft cabin and I haven't identified where it's coming in. The boat is on land now and when I was checking on the boat the other day I found that water had collected there again - well it's ice at this point. There wasn't any water there when it was put on land. Has anyone had this problem and did you find where rain water was getting in?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: 355 water in bilge

Postby RGrew176 » January 9th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Someone here will be able to hopefully give you a lead as to where to look. Water intrusion is one of the most challenging things to try to locate the source. Good luck, hope you find it soon.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jcoll » January 10th, 2018, 8:31 am

This was has been a challenge. I do know about the leak on this model around the aft deck power outlet. It affects the cabinet but I haven't seen any signs of that leak making it to the bilge. I plan to reseal that spot when the weather warms. Then I'll know if the problem is fixed.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 10th, 2018, 9:06 am

I don't have this model but have come across some info the odd time , the side aft cabin windows are a leak potential, as are the engine vents a little further forward.......the other could be from the swim platform....do you have the model with the hollow platform with the fuel tank in there ? Its a start, good luck with it going forward, remember water can travel quite a ways sometimes.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » January 10th, 2018, 10:11 am

i have 405 1997 which is much the same as your 98 355 if it has the dock box on the swim platform whether you have any signs of water leaking there or not i suggest you pull the box and reseal and or epoxy them and redrill the screw holes in the swim platform. carver did not put any sealant or they didnt put enough to keep these penetrations from allowing water into the core and causing rot at these spots. i wrote about this a while back and suggest anybody with this boat do this there is other people on the internet which have had a lot of rot do to this. i also had some rot starting around some and was glad i did this it would have just kept on going. i do have a friend that had water leaking from the port side window they were able to reseal it but it would be good to know while its out of the water if its still accumulating now. i also wonder could it have been water that was in another bilge compartment that now the boat is at another angle could have migrated to the aft area.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jcoll » January 10th, 2018, 10:58 am

I'm pretty sure I read and responded to your post on the dock box problem. Last year I had the berth torn apart to redo rudder packing and the area under the swim platform was easily visible. Someone must of had the box off because all of the screw had sealant around them where they penetrated the surface and there was no evidence of water leaking there. I know the port window had been leaking prior to my owning it but not the starboard. The port side was resealed. I dread having to reseal the starboard side, it looks like a difficult disassembly. I'm not sure how the window is retained. All I can see is the screws from the outside but I'm wondering if there is more to the removal than just these screws.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”