Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 366 broken side window fix?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Carver 366 broken side window fix?

Postby mjk1040 » February 28th, 2018, 6:00 am

Plexi-glass is a good option, just don't clean it with any cleaner containing ammonia. White vinegar and water will not affect the plexi-glass. Any window cleaner containing vinegar will be good too.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 28th, 2018, 6:25 am

hargsnz wrote:Source of the post An update for anyone needing replacement glass:
I phoned Carver who referred me to Taylor Made & gave me their internal part number & e-mail address.
I contacted Taylor Made who referred me to Trend Marine who are a subsidiary of Taylor. They are located in Great Yarmouth, England.
I contacted Trend Marine in England, quoting the part number. They advised that there were none available but they could make one as they had the patterns. They then quoted $1500 plus shipping of approx $400 ( it would need to be crated up to prevent breakage).
I then contacted the marine glass supplier at my local marina who advised that the cost of the 6mm safety glass used was approx $350 per sq meter & to make a new one using the other side as a pattern would be approx $450 ( including drilling the holes etc, & take 3 weeks to make.
They have made up a plexi-glass one to fit in while I am waiting ( took 1 day ) & to keep the wind & rain out & I can keep using the boat during our summer here.

So I would suggest that getting a replacement now from Trend Marine in England maybe not viable & making a new copy is the better option.

Thanks for the update. It's no surprise on the cost from Trend. You'll find it's the same for a lot of stuff from original manufacturer's for items that have been out of production for a while. It's one thing to be all set up for current production and pumping out several a day, it's a different story when they have to set up and produce just one.

United States of America
onaprwl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver Voyager Pilothouse 57 twin Cummins QSM11 535 17KW Gen.

Postby onaprwl » August 2nd, 2018, 2:23 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
hargsnz wrote:Source of the post An update for anyone needing replacement glass:
I phoned Carver who referred me to Taylor Made & gave me their internal part number & e-mail address.
I contacted Taylor Made who referred me to Trend Marine who are a subsidiary of Taylor. They are located in Great Yarmouth, England.
I contacted Trend Marine in England, quoting the part number. They advised that there were none available but they could make one as they had the patterns. They then quoted $1500 plus shipping of approx $400 ( it would need to be crated up to prevent breakage).
I then contacted the marine glass supplier at my local marina who advised that the cost of the 6mm safety glass used was approx $350 per sq meter & to make a new one using the other side as a pattern would be approx $450 ( including drilling the holes etc, & take 3 weeks to make.
They have made up a plexi-glass one to fit in while I am waiting ( took 1 day ) & to keep the wind & rain out & I can keep using the boat during our summer here.

So I would suggest that getting a replacement now from Trend Marine in England maybe not viable & making a new copy is the better option.

Thanks for the update. It's no surprise on the cost from Trend. You'll find it's the same for a lot of stuff from original manufacturer's for items that have been out of production for a while. It's one thing to be all set up for current production and pumping out several a day, it's a different story when they have to set up and produce just one.

Please send me the information who made the glass for you. I am in need bad. 985-966-2505 AL Guichet

Topic author New Zealand
hargsnz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 366, 2003, twin Cummins 280HP, Kohler 8.0,

Postby hargsnz » August 4th, 2018, 4:31 am

Hi Al, I replied to your e-mail directly.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 4th, 2018, 6:05 am

Thanks for the update and great advice to all.

Your experience is not uncommon in todays world. I sometimes cringe at prices of specialized items, many times it is cheaper to go to a machine shop/fabricator and have it custom made as opposed to ordering the part from the original supplier.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Cherylynny
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 366 my

Postby Cherylynny » September 10th, 2018, 10:06 am

This happened to us last year. It was the launching marina's fault. They had to order a new window from Europe and the cost was significant. In the meantime, they put some plexiglass in to hold off until the window was delivered (approximately 3 months!). It is very easy to replace though as you will have the window parts still available. If you need any info to source the window part, I can ask the marina for more specifics. :)

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”