Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Who owns a Carver Mariner 3297?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
JC3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Who owns a Carver Mariner 3297?

Postby JC3 » March 21st, 2018, 9:47 pm

OK Guys, i need thoughts on owning a Carver Mariner 3297 or Newer 330. Anybody that can tell me the good and the bad I would certainly appreciate it so much! Thanks, JC

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Who owns a Carver Mariner 3297?

Postby mjk1040 » March 22nd, 2018, 4:45 am

Had a 3297, enjoyed it and loved the walk around space. I guess the $$, age and history would have to be taken into consideration on which I would consider buying. If the haul designs are the same they will handle about the same. Survey them both and then make your choice. Maybe have someone that you know that owns either of these boats have a look at your choices too.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
nhm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nhm » March 22nd, 2018, 7:31 am

Hi JC3,

I don't own one, but I'm considering putting in an offer on a Mariner 3697 so I've been doing a heck of a lot of research on models from that era. I've also been looking at Santegos; I'll sort of do a comparison below. I'm still pretty green, so take this for what it's worth.

From what I understand, the models ending in 7 should have solid fiberglass hulls below the waterline and cored above. Decks are cored I've read contradictory reports of what the stringers are. Some say fiberglass over wood, some say foam filled. In the 3697 I'm looking at they don't look/sound like the hollow fiber-glass "top-hat" stringer system that carver started using in later models. If I had to hazzard a guess I'd say fiberglass over wood. Notably I've read that the Santegos started using the top-hat stringers much earlier than the Mariners.

Engines are back below the stern cockpit in a v-drive config. Apparently the v-drives are nearly indestructible, but parts may be becoming harder to get (walter v-drives). The engines in the 3697 I'm looking at are crusaders. Fuel tanks are outboard forward of the engines, and house batteries and water/holding tanks are mid-ship below the salon.

Other considerations: The mariner and santego are similar but each have some trade-offs: The mariners deliver imho the most interior space you can get for the length/beam. I'm continually amazed by how well designed the interior layout is. I'm not as big of a fan of the bridge layout, but at least it's quite spacious. The Santegos either give you less space in a similar sized boat or a bit more space in a bigger boat if you jump up to the 380/638. You get a different (nicer imho) swim platform configuration, a bench in the stern cockpit, and a pass-through from the bridge to the foredeck. On the mariner the windows are right below the gunwales/railing and may be more likely to get damaged (The price you pay for so much interior room). The decks are wide and spacious though. The Santego is more traditional with the windows above very narrow gunwale decks. I imagine the windows should be better protected. I definitely understand why carver's engineers put that pass-through from the bridge to the fore-deck which isn't really necessary with the mariner.

There may be other things but I can't really think of much else right now. Hopefully this helps!

JC3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby JC3 » March 22nd, 2018, 10:55 am

I was not wanting to compare the two. I was just trying to get feed back on the 3297 which transformed into the 330. I hope some one who owns these models will give a good description of these boats and what they thought of them after owning them. Interested in the 1986-1995 (3297/330) model. Thanks guys so much for the reply's!!! Really appreciated. JC

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » March 22nd, 2018, 5:38 pm

Gents; the only thing I know from owning a Mariner and going to a 355 is that I can maneuver the 355 at slow speeds better than the Mariner via the rudders and its in the haul design. A lot of time u will have to maneuver via engines at slow speeds at the gas dock and the dock. JC3-The Santego is a great boat, but u will lose the wide walk around to the bow. However the newer Santego models may have a wider walk around than the older models. Again $$ will decide the deal u want to make. Hell I wanted to buy a 44' Sea Ray after I bought the 355. But in our area over 40' is a docking problem when it comes to slips. Oop's I'm Bad did I say Sea Ray!
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

JC3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby JC3 » March 22nd, 2018, 6:32 pm

Mike, I see you owned a 1986 Mariner 32. What did you think of her. Good points and bad. BTW, I had a 1998 Sea Ray 450 DA for almost 10 years. Great boat. Thanks Mike for the help. JC

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 22nd, 2018, 10:35 pm

JC, from a 450 to a 330, we usually want a bigger boat?

JC3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby JC3 » March 22nd, 2018, 11:46 pm

Had a significant health issue. Was not able to keep up. Now 2 years later doing much better and hoping to get back to boating, all be it smaller(Downsizing). I did love the SR 450 DA. Went through the Bahamas twice. 800 nm twice. It kept us safe and no major problems. JC

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » March 23rd, 2018, 3:53 am

Great 2 person boat. 4 steps up to the bridge, and 3 steps into the cabin. Haul design skates at slow speeds, especially in the wind, will have to maneuver with engines at slow speeds. If it had a bow thruster maybe less of an issue. Maybe the 3697 should be considered too. Be sure to check the deck for any soft spots. Great design if you don't want a express model boat and not a high fly bridge model. Ours had been upgraded on the interior which was great. Shower stall a plus but small. Very roomy bridge. Really thought we wanted another new model Mariner. The haul design at slow speeds still an issue. Had the 3297 in 4' waves on a lake and it handle them well. I guess bottom line is $$, if its a fair deal go for it.
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

JC3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby JC3 » March 23rd, 2018, 11:07 am

Thanks Mike thats the information I was looking for. The 1986 had a 12 inch keel. Surprised, just a little that at slow speeds the boat had issues. If you think of anything else please post it. Again, Thank you Mike! JC

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”