Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

RIB/Tender Retrieval/Storage System

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Re: RIB/Tender Retrieval/Storage System

Postby Hugo » June 25th, 2022, 9:33 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post I am very happy with the Sea Weed Davit System and I have not had any issues. I have been on plane on Georgian Bay on 4-5 hour crossings with no issue. I do secure the dinghy with a bow and stern lanyard of 1/2” line to the transom cleats. I also beefed up the transom straps onto the system with stainless ratchet straps. I had Sea Weed make a special clip for me on that catcher of the system to attach the ratchet straps.

The keel of my dinghy is 32” from the surface of the water and is 18” up from the surface of the swim platform. The dinghy’s keel is cantilevered 18” off the back of the boat. The weight is supported by four struts and the mounting brackets which are supported by two, large, 1/4” marine grade aluminum backing plates.

The dinghy is a Highfield 360 with a 30 HP and weighs 530 Lbs.

The water does not come in contact with the dinghy. From time to time, while on plane, water will splash down the port side of the boat and hit the lower unit of the engine. The lanyards stabilize the dinghy when this occurs.

Due to the fact that the dinghy sits so high, I can slip between the dinghy and the storage box. I also walk across the top of the box with no issue. I normally ask for a port side tie when out, however, I have a starboard side tie while at my home slip. I never have an issue with going from side to side.

Due to the fact that the dinghy sits so high, it does block our field of view while sitting in the cockpit. When we are anchored out, I normally kick the dinghy into the water and float it behind the boat.

See the attached pics.

Thank you!

What kind of cruising speed you get on plane with the weight back there, did it affect it much?

Do you have the Volvos? I get 15.5-16 knots at 2400 no dinghy full of fuel and water.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » July 14th, 2022, 9:34 am

I believe it impacts speed a little bit, especially when I am full of fuel and water.

On plane I run my VP D6’s at 3200 rpm’s and I travel at 16.5 - 17.5 knots (19 - 20 mph) depending on whether my aux are full.

In order to help me get more bow down, I had the chord on my trim tabs extended by 2”. This helps a bit as well.

Greg

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 14th, 2022, 1:15 pm

Great discussion. We are looking to add one to our 396 which from my understanding has a very similar swim platform setup - and ours does also have the dock box installed.

Our issue is significant sponginess in the swim platform that we have to deal with before choosing the davit system to go with. Anyone else deal with this? I did start another thread about the sponginess but it didn't get much traction. I don't want to highjack this thread so if anyone has any info about their spongy swim platform, you can PM me. Thanks!!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”