Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Leak at fresh water tank

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Leak at fresh water tank

Postby ronmar » July 18th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Hello, I am looking to buy a 1993 350 Aft Cabin. According to the owner the only mechanical issue is there is a small leak at the fresh water tank. He said to tighten fitting you have to remove the bed in the aft cabin and he did not repair due to not having time to fix it. My question is that major surgery, and how would one know if simply a loose fitting, or if there is a more serious issue? Can you see the connection from another location in the boat to make that diagnosis? I have not been on the boat yet and have not looked to see how bed was constructed to determine if I wish to tackle this job. I have been on the outside and looks great. This Saturday I will be looking entire craft over and could sure use some things to look for or watch out for.
Thanks,
Ron

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Leak at fresh water tank

Postby g36 » July 18th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Take a flashlight anyway because there will be more areas you want to look at and if your lucky and he's right you will probably just lift the mattress and gain access to it through the lift out panel . Depending on how much room there is will make a difference on difficulty. If it's a seam or something else it might prove a bit more work but I wouldn't let that be a deal bresker on a otherwise nice boat. Good luck
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 18th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Welcome to the forum....good advice about the bright flashlight......have a close look , if the leak is coming around the threads of the water outlet fitting, look closer, sometimes over tightening that fitting cracks the tank....still aint no deal breaker.....good luck with it.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 18th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Had a cracked fitting on another boat. Found out you can bring it in and have it profesionally welded. Yes they weld plastic but you need the proper technique and tools to do so. In my case the cut out the old female NPT fitting which was part of the tank and welding in a new one. If the tank is in good shape and repairable, simply look up plastic welding in your area and bring it in for repairs. Best $50 I ever spent. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 19th, 2018, 2:57 am

Welcome Aboard and good luck with the purchase. Hope it all works out OK for you.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”