Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

swinging at anchor

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Crowbar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Voyager- twin 230 hp gas

swinging at anchor

Postby Crowbar » August 20th, 2018, 12:10 pm

28 ft voyager- While at anchor with a 7 knot or so wind and no current, the boat swings 50 degrees left and right. I tried turning the rudders hard over with no effect. I'm thinking about deploying a small sea anchor off the stern. I'm getting dizzy. Any ideas?

United States of America
jsinton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '79 28ft Voyager w/ 100KW BMW Marine Diesel.

Re: swinging at anchor

Postby jsinton » August 20th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Yeah, you could put out a stern anchor. I've done lots of that, it works pretty well keeping the boat in one place in a big blow. Do you have it on a bungee?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » August 20th, 2018, 11:03 pm

If you do try a sea anchor let us know how well it does or does not work. I'm curious. My gut feeling is that a sea anchor would not work where there is no current.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 20th, 2018, 11:12 pm

with a single bow anchor and no snubber system, your boat will swing with the wind and the current. Point it where you want it to be and deploy a stern anchor.

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » August 20th, 2018, 11:19 pm

We often drop a stern anchor to stop the swing during the day, Sounds kind of strange, but we've been using a 30 lb kettle bell on a line just tossed off the swim platform. It dosn't really "set" but seems to dig itself in and slow the swing considerably. We are mostly mud bottom, and I think the bell kind of sinks in and grabs, kind of like a mushroom would.

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post with a single bow anchor and no snubber system, your boat will swing with the wind and the current. Point it where you want it to be and deploy a stern anchor.
So that begs the question, as I've assumed the swing was a product of our windage (mostly) and current, will a snubber reduce the swing, and why? I tie my chain to the cleat with a chain stay to get the stress off the windlass, but I have no snubber in play anywhere. If it would help, i'm off to amazon to find one!
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 21st, 2018, 11:34 am

Tie another line to your rode and pull it offcenter to a side cleat. The boat is swinging like a pendulum or a rocking chair. You want to disturb the "even-ness" and let the wind or current favor one side or the other rather than be equal on both sides.

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » August 21st, 2018, 12:48 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Tie another line to your rode and pull it offcenter to a side cleat. The boat is swinging like a pendulum or a rocking chair. You want to disturb the "even-ness" and let the wind or current favor one side or the other rather than be equal on both sides.

Well duh. That makes so much sense , I am now annoyed that I didn't think of that. :banghead: i am almost hoping for some wind this weekend so I can try it out! In hindsight, we have already proved that, anytime we have someone rafted on us, we do not swing. When they leave, off we go! So apparently either tie the rode or another boat to the side to reduce swing! :-P
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » August 21st, 2018, 8:05 pm

Just bought another foldable anchor , the one we had before was for our 28 foot cruiser, too small now. We always used a stern anchor when on the hook. I now have an 18kg anchor with 50 feet of 3/8 inch anchor rode. I know it should be 5/8 but it's only for the stern. Going to try it this week-end.

United States of America
thisDave
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 570
Twin Volvo D12 650

Postby thisDave » July 14th, 2022, 12:43 am

Previously, we were in a 366, and now a 570. In both, we experience extreme sway while on anchor, commonly 90-120 degrees every few minutes. First thing we do is make sure the rudders straight.

We normally use a bridle on the front cleats. I was able to slow the swing by tying one side of the bridle to a midship cleat, following the suggestion above. I've also tried a 4ft drogue which really slowed the movement, but didnt reduce the arc.

Suggestions? I'm open to new ideas.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » July 14th, 2022, 1:36 am

Underlying logic is that the sterndrives are the turning point with the bow being pushed sideways. Were you able to take the drives out of the water, the swinging would be different. With a longer anchor line it also changes but does not stop.

Introducing one side to be pushed more than the other makes sense like described. A water anchor would not help as much as the turning point it still the rear of the boat and you need good current to keep it under pulling pressure.

The snubber to choose the pushing side to the boat by the wind or an added anchor to change the turning point are the solutions I believen. Note: use the rear anchor also to make the profile asymetrical otherwise you still have a changing force to the boat by the wind.

With a bit of trial you can find the most effective cleat to tie the rear anchor to so you get the right air flow through the boat and keep it that way during the stay. I also like it because I can position the shades more effectively when the boat stays put.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”