Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

406 Aft Cabin Performance concerns?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
clawfirm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "The Claw Firm". 1999 Carver 406 Aft cabin.

406 Aft Cabin Performance concerns?

Postby clawfirm » August 27th, 2018, 6:48 pm

My wife and I are brand new to the MY scene. We have a 1999 406 Aft Cabin with twin 7.4 Mercruiser engines. We normally just put around on our lake anyway, but we have throttled her up a time or two. However, after reading on this forum, it seems like we are not getting anywhere NEAR the kind of performance this boat should be delivering. I understand there can be a million factors that effect a boat's performance, but we seem to be far off the mark. I am hoping some other comparable size and engine configured owners can tell me if my concerns are warranted.

Our boat will only RPM up to about 3,000-3,100 RPM max, and our top speed is only about 15 mph per the GPS. It actually pretty much tops out performance-wise at about 2,800 rpm at 14-15 mph, which is only a touch over halfway on the throttles. Everything over that just seems to give us nothing performance-wise.

The boat has been in the water for about three years since its last bottom job (before we bought it), but has been used fairly regularly over that time. Both engines typically start right up. They both idle fine. Response at idle seems pretty good to me. But when you want to get up and go... it just aint happening. I read on this forum that other owners with our size boats get cruising speeds of 25 mph and max speeds of 30+?!?!?!? Is that for real? Should I be able to get close to 30 mph out of this boat? If so, any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks so much!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 406 Aft Cabin Performance concerns?

Postby waybomb » August 27th, 2018, 7:09 pm

The years in the water?
I'd start with hauling the boat and getting the bottom done. While you are at it, inspect everything under water.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 27th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Yes, it should get to at least 4000 rpms at wide open throttle.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 27th, 2018, 8:58 pm

That's a whole lot of boat for 7.4 gassers. Yes, you should be getting a top RPM in the 4400 range. Maybe you are overpropped.
Anyway, at it's best, you might get 23-25 mph at WOT.
I used to have an older 3807 (smaller-less weight), we cruised about 15-16 mph at around 3200 RPM's. We also had 7.4 Mercs. A boat your size and weight screams for diesels.

Topic author United States of America
clawfirm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "The Claw Firm". 1999 Carver 406 Aft cabin.

Postby clawfirm » August 27th, 2018, 9:10 pm

That is good to hear. If 23-35 mph is a more realistic number to expect to achieve, running at 15 mph after 3 years in the water is probably not as bad as I was thinking. I would think that a 35% decrease in top end performance can easily occur from 3 years worth of extra drag hanging on to the bottom of the rig. Good news is that I am wanting to change out the swim ladder and add some EasyUp swim handles onto the platform, and my guy here says it would be best to have her out of the water to do that work, so I can get a good bottom cleanup done while that work goes on if I am going to be out of the water.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 27th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Keep in mind, even if you are not concerned with top end performance, If the issue is growth on the bottom, you are probably using twice the fuel as you should be to keep her at 2800 rpm.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 27th, 2018, 10:52 pm

I have a 97 405 which has crusader xli engines. I am on tennessee river my boat hasn't been out if the water in 4 yrs. I do however dive once a year to inspect and gently clean the hull there's just slime growing. I can reach 4600 rpms the times I have had rpm issues it's been fuel filters each time. It started up easy ran good but never would speed up to correct rpm ,just like you state your having. You have something more than a dirty bottom going on. I would change your fuel filters and maybe go ahead and do a tune up with plugs, check timing etc. I will disagree that this boat only needs diesel engines it's heavy yes but I think it does good with gas engines this isn't a speed boat. Also i replaced my boarding ladder and have installed the ez up handles you mentioned and they make a world of difference getting out of the water. I installed the "p" style. I love my 405 I'm sure you probably feel the same about you 406 :-) welcome
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 27th, 2018, 11:10 pm

G36, do you have any pictures of the swim ladder you installed? I believe your 405 has (or had) same bad swim ladder set up as my 355.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 28th, 2018, 7:23 am

hi yes i had the same crappy ladder i think because my friends 2001 356 has the same so probably. this was one of the first thinks i did about 5 years ago or so when we got the carver. we are in the water alot in the summer. i did this with the in the water but it would have been easier out of the water but i had no plans coming up to do so. however i measured and measured , removed the old ladder and took 2 pieces of aluminum flat plate think they were about 4" wide and a little longer than the new ladders mount. since the holes wont line up for the new to bolt right up this gave me room to use the existing holes in the boat and then drill new ones in the plate beside them for the new ladder to mount to. and tested the alignment. once all that was right i countersunk the screws in the new alumunum plates that hold the new ladder so they would mount tight against the boat and used screws and nuts to mount it. i used the original screws (which are machine screws that obviously mount into a threaded embedded plate in boat)in their original positions to mount this whole assembly back onto the boat. the trickest part for me was lying on my stomach and reaching over the swim platform to start the first screw. i also tied a rope to the new ladder assy so i would not drop it to the bottom of the lake till i got it mounted. i did it ! so it can be done in the water. i will be at the boat either wed or thursday and will take some pics for you it would make this way better to visualize than i probably wrote here . heres the same kind of ladder i used i cant remember who made mine i'll look but it s a Telescoping Under Platform Slide Mount Boat Ladder just like this one it is solid has foot pads and wont bend when your on it or fold under the boat like the oem did.i think whoever made these oem carer ladders should have tried getting in and out of the water on it a few times they would have figured out pretty quickly it sucks. :-)

https://www.iboats.com/shop/garelick-un ... EEQAvD_BwE
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”