Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mariner Forward Bilge Water

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Mariner Forward Bilge Water

Postby denpooch » September 2nd, 2018, 11:52 am

Like many Mariner owners, my boat has a tendency to 'collect' water in the forward bilge, especially after a cruise in larger seas.
I believe that this is likely caused by a siphoning of water into the bilge via the forward bilge discharge thru hull fitting.
One gentleman in a post suggested that the water intrusion completely stopped when he duct taped over the thru hull.
Has anyone come up for a solution to this problem without using duct tape? I hate having standing water the the bilge and dread having to wet vac 5 or 10 gallons of water out of there after most cruises. Thanks

Canada
Bandit
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ‘99 Carver 404

Re: Mariner Forward Bilge Water

Postby Bandit » September 2nd, 2018, 12:07 pm

If I follow your post correctly you are saying the water is back flowing through the bilge pump, if that's the case an anti siphon fitting should be installed at a high point in the line or if no room then maybe a bilge pump check valve can be added.

Not sure of your design however In my 404 I was chasing a leak in the forward compartment and the mid section was dry leading me to believe it was coming from somewhere in the front. I later discovered it was a loose exhaust hose clamp in the stern and water was running forward inside the stringers leaving the mid section dry and had me looking in the wrong place.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 2nd, 2018, 1:47 pm

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Like many Mariner owners, my boat has a tendency to 'collect' water in the forward bilge, especially after a cruise in larger seas.
I believe that this is likely caused by a siphoning of water into the bilge via the forward bilge discharge thru hull fitting.
One gentleman in a post suggested that the water intrusion completely stopped when he duct taped over the thru hull.
Has anyone come up for a solution to this problem without using duct tape? I hate having standing water the the bilge and dread having to wet vac 5 or 10 gallons of water out of there after most cruises. Thanks

You could put a clamshell like fitting over the bilge pump outlet, much like the one over the generator outlet.....perhaps that might help until you can find the attachment point inside and make sure there is a loop there.Sometimes I think because these boats have liners, water can sit behind from rain etc and then when the boat gets bounced around it finds its way out and into the bilge, ours has these odd occurrences as well.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » September 2nd, 2018, 3:41 pm

Hey Bandit, I don't know where I would find the high point of the line. I think that it is likely buried somewhere behind the cabinetry in the berth.
Perhaps the check valve is more realistic.
Bud, my only concern about installing a clamshell (with the opening facing aft) is the 'interference' created by the shell when the bilge turns on to evacuate. I don't know if that shell would compromise the pump function.
Thanks guys.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 2nd, 2018, 4:13 pm

Check valve not good idea, wrong for that style pump use.......the big clam in front of the generator exhaust doesn't bother the generator any, if anything it helps it.....you could glue one on on try it....if no good then could be easily removed....with yours being an 05, maybe slightly different from what I have...an 01.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » September 3rd, 2018, 6:57 am

What about a large stainless steel or plastic clam shell over the discharge thru haul angled aft? Another idea is a duck bill choker valve in line at the pump like the ones used in the shower sumps?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » September 4th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Thanks all. I will let you know how it works out.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”