Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 506 fuel leveling system between tanks

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
jfloyd1010
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 "Endless Journey" 450 hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3-M engines

Carver 506 fuel leveling system between tanks

Postby jfloyd1010 » September 15th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Hi - I have a fuel leveling valve system that is supposed to level the fuel between my starboard and port fuel tanks. The previous owner said he never got it to work properly. Does someone else have history with this option that can guide me to any tricks of the trade ? My generator pulls from the port fuel tank and is always considerably lower in fuel than the starboard tank.
Thanks,
Jim Floyd
Endless Journey
New Bern, NC

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Carver 506 fuel leveling system between tanks

Postby Viper » September 15th, 2018, 8:07 pm

You can do it a couple of different ways if you have the following options:
- Fuel selection/source valves allow you to select which tank either engine will draw fuel from. You can use this to direct both engines to draw fuel from the tank that has the most fuel, then return the valves back to the position that directs each engine to draw from it's own tank. These can be located in several locations; engine bay, aft cabin closet, under a step in the cabin or aft deck, etc. Always return the valves to a position that isolates the tanks from each other.
- Some applications have a fuel transfer pump that you can operate to transfer fuel from one tank to another. Look for a pump that has fuel lines going to each tank

Topic author United States of America
jfloyd1010
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 "Endless Journey" 450 hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3-M engines

Postby jfloyd1010 » September 16th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Thanks - I know I don't have a transfer pump, I'll just have to mess around with those valves.
I hope to get back to the boat in the next week or two. Just went through Hurricane Florence in New Bern, NC and no power to the entire city and marina...

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 16th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Saw your location .......hope it turns around for the folk there......good luck to you...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”