Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Propellers

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
outtoc
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: year 2000 carver 450 voyager pilothouse
twin volvo tamd74p 480hp engines
edc controls

Propellers

Postby outtoc » January 17th, 2019, 3:42 pm

hello: i have a 2000 carver 450 voyager pilothouse purchased in 2016.
volvo tamd74p 480 hp ea. zf 280-1 2.27:1 transmissions
can anyone with the same boat tell me what your prop size is.
carver tells me this boat left factory in 2000 with 28 x 34 props
i purchased the boat from the original owner.
the props from the orig owner are 28 x 30.2 (4 inches less pitch.)
i talked with the orig. owner and he can not remember and does not know why
i am only traveling 15 to 16 knots at 2200 RPM after talking with carver and
looking at the boat specs i should be traveling more like 20 knots and
carver does agree. my WOT should be 2600 rpm and i am getting
2625 to 2680 both engines.
if anyone could give me some feedback it would be great
thanks, john

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Propellers

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » January 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Hi John. While I do not have the exact boat as you, I am speaking from experience having dealt with Volvo diesels. One issue that TAMD Volvo diesels have, is that they lose performance in a drastic manner as the charge air coolers start to plug. Our TAMD Volvos are not common rail and they burn very dirty compared to the newer ones. In addition, we don't have closed crankcase ventilation systems. Our crankcase gases are simply filtered and then go to Atmosphere. It is then drawn in through the turbo intake and eventually fouls the charge air cooler. This is the biggest source of power and performance loss that I have found on a Volvo TAMD. Owners tend to prop down to make up the difference. In addition to all of that, TAMD's don't really like today's diesel fuel. I run "Howes" supplement in mine and gain a very significant amount of performance. I would definitely recommend looking at the maintenance that has been done to them. Sounds to me like they are possibly low on power due to an issue like what I've mentioned. While it's definitely normal to pitch a factory prop down, that does seem excessive and seems to me that you should be over-revving even more than you are. Just some stuff to think about. Good luck, Dave.

outtoc
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
edc controls

Postby outtoc » January 18th, 2019, 10:14 am

hi dave: thanks very much for the feedback. i am in ct. i will be sure to pass this along
to my mechanic when i have him scheduled to do some service on the boat in march.
thanks again,
john

United States of America
seabreeze
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 carver 45 voyager

Postby seabreeze » January 25th, 2019, 5:37 pm

I have a 2005 45 voyager with your same engines and transmission.
I just replaced both props and went with the same size on boat.
my new props are 28x32.4 4 bld nibral zf 0.75 ear
at 2200 rpm I run about 20 kts, wot 2650 about 26 kts

outtoc
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
edc controls

Postby outtoc » April 12th, 2019, 10:45 am

thanks seabreeze. that's great info. fyi my boat had a lot of bottom paint buildup so i had boat hauled and bottom media blasted. going to let it dry out for a while.
looks to be in very good shape. once dry i am going to do any filling and 3 coats of barrier coat then 2 to 3 coats of bottom paint.
had props redone. props are now perfectly balanced and are 28 dia x 31 pitch. hope this fixes my speed problem or at least puts me in the right direction. i need to check my WOT with this pitch of 31. i will continue to pitch the props more as long as i get my 2600 WOT.
what u have (20 knots at 2200 rpm) is what everyone including carver is telling me i should have.
thanks very much again for your input.
john

United States of America
Renovatio
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466

Postby Renovatio » April 13th, 2019, 9:04 am

I just had our first large motor boat surveyed
Seems like the boat after years of looking at “Rats”

They all look good in pictures! Wish brokers were more honest, but such the nature of the beast

So the survey recommended reconditioning props. Not exactly knowing if it’s balancing
Runs at even RPMs
Speed is on target
20 knots at 1900 rpms or so

Should or can I wait
Seasons starting everybody’s backed up
Don’t want to tie her up too long and cast off
Very excited
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 13th, 2019, 9:34 am

Unless you're experiencing a vibration at a given rpm, I wouldn't worry about it until your next haul out. What you should do between now and then though is record your max RPM at WOT and keep those numbers for when you take the props in. Compare those numbers to the engine OEM's recommended WOT spec and see if you're within spec or not. If not, the prop shop may be able to tweak the props to get you there. Take them to a place that is able to do a "Prop Scan." Most prop shops don't charge for checking the condition of props, at least up my way they don't.

It's going to be a fun summer :captain:

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 13th, 2019, 9:39 am

If the vibration isn't very bad and it's in the water anyways, you might want to check the shaft alignment and see if that needs any tweaking first.

Also depends on what you plans are for long cruises this year. If there is a vibration and it gets worse at higher RPM, then you might want to deal with it now, or plan to haul the boat for a convenient early-season week and get them done then. If you're mostly doing short cruises then you could easily work around it until next haul-out season.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » April 13th, 2019, 11:15 am

Reno - call the surveyor and ask him why he made that comment. Sometimes it is simply a standard suggestion in the report to achieve optimal efficiency. Did the surveyor do the sea trial? Did he/she feel and note any vibration? If no vibration, I would run it for the season and hold off till next haul out. It would be real easy to lose 2 to 4 weeks of season to get no real return. The boat lifts are backed up, and so are the prop shops. On the other hand, IF there is a vibration, then you should get it checked out. Prop & shaft issues get expensive and time consuming. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”