Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mariner / Santego?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Mariner / Santego?

Postby RGrew176 » February 17th, 2019, 10:48 pm

ColRon wrote:Source of the post Rick, I guess that shows everywhere is different and everyone mileage varies so to speak. Down here in the mid south we don’t typically pull our boats out of the water for the winter. While the 3067 is technically trailerable, I didn’t have the ability to trailer it so it stayed in the water year round. That also meant whenever it was pulled, it was put in a lift and slings to pull it. That alone was a $600 cost, not including the cost any maintenance or repair work. When I sold it, I had the outdrives serviced and one of the outdrives was replaced under warranty, my cost $2100. (Parts were covered under the warranty, but not labor, I had just had both drives replaced the previous year at a cost of $12k). The least amount I ever paid was $800 to get it serviced. So like they say I guess it’s all, location location location.

To be clear. When I had the Bayliner I rack stored the boat so it only sat in the water when it was being used. The out-drives still looked like new when I sold the boat after 12 seasons. Rack storing inside a building really keeps any boat looking like new a lot longer. I would agree that inboards are a much better power system for any boat that is kept in the water seasonally or like you all year.

The truth is if you leave an I/O boat in the water all year or season long there will be corrosion issues especially with Mercury drives. I've been told that Volvo's tend to hold up better than Merc's for boats that spend a lot of time in the water'

Again, it's just my personal preference. If I were looking at two identical boats one with I/O's and one with inboards I would gravitate towards the I/O boat. I have more experience with I/O's. Of the ten boats I have owned in my lifetime, not counting inflatables, 2 were inboards, 2 were outboards and 6 were I/O's.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Craig, not sure of the current exchange rate or the overall condition of the boats, but in this area for either boat of that age your talking about 15-20k tops USD.
There is a 1989 30' mariner in our marina that needs new fuel tanks for sale 5k.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Postby Craig_B » February 18th, 2019, 1:09 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Craig, not sure of the current exchange rate or the overall condition of the boats, but in this area for either boat of that age your talking about 15-20k tops USD.
There is a 1989 30' mariner in our marina that needs new fuel tanks for sale 5k.

20,000 USD currently is 26,500 Canadian

Thanks

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 18th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Craig - just a point of reference. I bought my 95 Mariner 330 last spring for 26,500 USD. Condition was excellent to pristine. 311 hours on Crusader 350XL's. Borg Warner V drives. Had full bridge enclosure among other options. Mechanics survey was excellent, and I knew the mechanic very well. The owner was a little motivated due to slip fee being due if he did not agree to my offer. ( $2500 to him ) Adjustment for model years according to 2 value guides is $10K. It still is a buyers market in our area for boats like these. The Santego starts out much lower in the same guides. Just remember, guides are guides, the true value is what an individual boat is worth to the buyer. Hope this helps. Your last comment on survey was :lol:
Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » February 18th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Craig_B, $26K USD for 88-90 Santego 3067 is too much (unless its new-old stock)! Down here a 3067 Santego is going for $16K or less. On the 88-90 Santego's something to watch for...make sure its the right model. I often see listings That list their santego as the next larger size for those years. Just today I saw one in Canada listed as a Santego 3867 for $59 CDN that is actually a 3467. and I've seen 3067's listed as 3467's. The 3067 has an overall length of 34 feet and does not have a walk through flybridge, and is a sterndrive (IB/OB). Also your galley sink and refrigerator is on the Starboard side. The 3467 has an LOA of 38 feet, has a walkthrough flybridge with a center console. Galley sink and refrigerator is on the port side. there are two 88-90 38 Santego's, the 3867 and the 3897. both are 44"11" in LOA. the 3897 typically has a forward slanted radar arch, the 3867 has an aft leaning metal radar tower. The 3897 has a second smaller stateroom with bunk beds where the head is location on the 3867. After 91 the model number changed and the former 3467 became the 38 footer and the former 3067 became the 34 footer.

I cover this to say if your looking at around $30K CDN You may want to consider Looking for one bigger or newer or both, especially if its a buyers market. When I bought my 3867 in 2017, I offered the PO half of what he was asking, he counter with a 5k increase and I jumped on it. I would have given an additional 20K, but I did know the boat and when I originally looked at it before I bought my 3067, he wanted $90K for it then. So don't be afraid to make a low offer if the 30's are what you want, the worse they can say is no. They might accept it or they might even make a counter offer. But get the boat you WANT.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » February 18th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Oh and one other note, the survey on my 3867 appraised it for($60K USD) $25K more than I paid. The Survey actually allowed me to insure it for its value, initially the insurance only wanted to insure it for what I paid. So make sure you get a survey, even if you get your boat on the cheap! :blush:
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 19th, 2019, 10:50 am

Looks like Ron's comments are in line with my transaction. By the way, if the dealer says " I have 2 other customers that are hot on those boats", just ignore. Let him know you are a real, not imaginary, buyer. I bought directly from the PO, and he was honest enough to tell me I was the only buyer he got attention after 6 months of marketing by a broker. Buy with your head, not with your emotions. You are going to do fine, and be really happy in the end. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 19th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Looks like Ron's comments are in line with my transaction. By the way, if the dealer says " I have 2 other customers that are hot on those boats", just ignore. Let him know you are a real, not imaginary, buyer. I bought directly from the PO, and he was honest enough to tell me I was the only buyer he got attention after 6 months of marketing by a broker. Buy with your head, not with your emotions. You are going to do fine, and be really happy in the end. 8-) er

This is really great advice. No matter what happens I hope all works out well in the end for you.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Postby Craig_B » February 20th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Thanks for all the advice given so far it is all very much appreciated.

I am wondering if the boat markets are maybe a little different between the US and Canada. To me it seems there are a lot fewer boats available in general and especially of this type up here. The next jump up in price for this type of boat seems to be at the $40,000 - $60,000 level.
Not really sure if the "buyers market" is as prominent in Canada. I have found that everything in Canada is more expensive and overpriced compared to the same thing in the US. Even once the exchange rate of currency is adjusted.

Wondering if I am completely off base here. Any fellow Canadians care to chime in and set me straight if I am incorrect?

Thanks again.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 20th, 2019, 10:35 pm

You are not off base Imo....boating in Canada is most definitely more expensive and difficult to compare, labor rates are different in a lot of areas, we pretty much have to import all our parts etc.

As for the boat availability, in my experience it seems to go in cycles for certain models.....there are lots of boats available, sometimes they are not with the big brokers though and hard to find, but doable....we used to go on excursions to visit marinas all over to see what was for sale, lots of stuff not advertised except local....some good finds....I got one real nice Carver years ago from an RV dealer,... :-O .... it even had its original shipping cradle......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”