Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Which boat do I choose?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Which boat do I choose?

Postby Viper » June 25th, 2019, 6:41 pm

PetePWES wrote:Source of the post..... The engine room is not somewhere I plan to visit more than I absolutely need to. Although I get that it's much cheaper to maintain yourself, I'm not good with machinery and not keen to learn at this age. I would rather pay someone who knows what they're doing to keep it in good condition....

To Bud's point, this is precisely the reason why you should consider the importance of how easy or difficult it is to access all areas around the engines, generator, and other hardware. Access is everything when it comes to labour costs and will be the difference between paying 1 hour or 3 for the same job. If maintenance costs are a consideration as noted in your last question above, access shouldn't be taken lightly, especially if you're paying someone else to work on her.

Good luck in your search.

United States of America
mobinakhtar
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 Viking Princess 65
1988 Carver 3207 Convertible
1971 Hatteras 38 Convertible
2005 Boston Whaler 15 Montauk

Postby mobinakhtar » June 30th, 2019, 12:55 am

I believe you should look into that relationship a lot further.......Imo a marine gas engine with 2000 hrs at your 25 kn number would be closer to 200,000 miles wear factor when you consider that boat engines are highly loaded all the time.

I 100% agree with bud37. 2000 hours mean 200K or more on a vehicular engine. Boat engines work very hard, all the time. Also, usage hours have almost no bearing on an engine's actual condition except the blatant fact that higher hours might equate to higher wear on internal parts. It's the maintenance that matters most.

I would suggest again to find out what is serviced in the target area (Carribean) easily. Might be caterpillars or Isuzu diesel - vs more common Cummins here in the US.

I like the trawler concept but hate the traditional trawler look also. Nowadays though, lines between trawlers and yachts are easily crossed. For example, Mainships are in reality mostly trawlers, but they are shaped like nice yachts (google Mainship Mediterranean for example). Remember, once you get there, it will be parked for a long time so space and most importantly, the configuration of that space is CRITICAL. That's why I like Carvers as they have more usable space inside. Trawler-like yachts are designed for slow long-distance travel in comfort and best use of liveable space.

Imagine buying a 700 sq ft condo to spend a few years in. Now see the configuration of your future boat in that context. How would everyday life be accommodated in your new boat? Can you lug groceries overboard easily? get on and off easily? It may sound silly now but I would also check "cockpit" in my boat wishlist as while underway, you might want to fish or hang around your "boat porch" at the dock. My current boat was my first yacht and its an aft cabin with no cockpit. I really miss it - pretty much every time as I climb those darn stairs up to the boat from my swim platform balancing coolers, ice, and heavy groceries.

Door entrance to your saloon is also important. How do I know? try getting a recliner or table in or out of a carver 396's (my 40-footer) cabin sliding door. You have to disassemble the furniture. Replace a refrigerator - forget it, you have to disassemble door and frame parts.

Until you visit your target boats and spend some time in them. Ideally, find one in a marina near you for sale and just visit it even if you have no intention to buy it. Be honest with the broker and tell them you are considering this model and want to visit to see if it suits your needs.

United States of America
3dognight
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 530 Voyager With Volvo TAMD 122P EDC 610HP

Postby 3dognight » July 9th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Can speak to the SR but If you have any particular questions on the 530 ask away
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”