Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1982 Santa Cruz 2667

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
CharleyWest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New to motor yachts. Interested in a Carver for river and lake cruising with family.

1982 Santa Cruz 2667

Postby CharleyWest » July 26th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Hi all,
I’m new to cabin cruisers and have been looking for something suitable for my family to explore and enjoy the rivers and lakes in my area.
I came across a listing for an ‘82 Santa Cruz 2667 and thought I’d ask for opinions on the model, areas of concerns, questions I should ask, etc.

From the listing:
Mercruizer 260hp 350 motor only has 281 hrs
6 gallon water heater and shower
Has been in storage last 8 years

Thoughts for day trips and weekends for a family of four with children under age of 8 (and a dog)?

What’s a boat like this cost to maintain?
What’s a fair price?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 1982 Santa Cruz 2667

Postby buster53 » July 26th, 2019, 4:50 pm

2 things...
That's a lot of boat for a 350. I'd like to see that with a big block 454.
8 years in storage is a big red flag for me. Whatever gas is in the tank, needs to be pumped out and disposed of. Do not try to run 8+ year old gas. Change oil, fuel and oil filter. Hoses may be dry and brittle. Outdrive probably needs to be serviced. If you are hellbent on buying this boat, the seller needs to do a lot of work just to get it in shape for a sea trial. Do not under any circumstances buy this boat without a survey and satisfactory sea trial.
If you get to the point of having a sea trial, have at least 4 people on board and water and gas tank at least 1/2 full or more. You need to have this weight to see how much struggle it is to get the boat on plane and keep it there. I wouldn't be surprised that the engine would have to be running in the high 3000's RPM's to keep a decent plane. Too much boat and not enough motor.

Topic author United States of America
CharleyWest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New to motor yachts. Interested in a Carver for river and lake cruising with family.

Postby CharleyWest » July 26th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Thanks for the quick and detailed response!
I’m definitely not hellbent, and haven’t had a chance to see the boat in person yet.
For the most part this would be just to cruise a few miles each weekend on flat water.
I’ve got a sweet little classic runabout Glassmaster with a 50hp Merc. I love to get a good deal and not afraid of a bit of work.
Great suggestions on the fuel and water. Will definitely lake trial it if I get that far.

Anyone have experience with total number of passengers it can haul?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 26th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Probably 8 is the max I'd put on that boat and don't put too many (especially full size adults) on the bridge.

Definitely good advice on that old gas.

Probably not a bad size boat for the family of 4. One of my friends got into boating years ago with a 25 foot express when their two kids were young, and liked it so much they moved up to a 29, then a 36, which worked well as the kids were getting too big for the 25.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 27th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Welcome to the forum......

So thoughts heh.....well mine are a little different......a trailerable boat ( narrow beam ) with some deadrise in that length with a flybridge will be quite top heavy and will rock a lot....( read tippy )...might be ok if you weren't just starting out.

If you have the opportunity....consider a 2897 model, which is a 28 mariner.....way better for you. But having said that , if one of your needs is trailerable to keep storage/yard cost down then consider an express style boat, you will be much happier......good luck with your search, one of the great parts of boating....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 28th, 2019, 4:03 am

A 350 in a 26' boat would not make it a speed burner but if the engine runs well it should be adequate. Obviously a 454 would be better. I had a 26' Bayliner with a 350 and it would tickle 40 MPH at WOT.

As others have said a survey and a sea trial is a must for this boat.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 28th, 2019, 10:20 am

All the above advise is good. A noteworthy concern would be the condition of everything related to the sterndrive. That is the sterndrive and transom assembly components. Repair costs on these can add up substantially. I'd have a marine tech go over everything including removing the drive to assess the input shaft, u-joints, gimbal bearing, etc. Check the amount of corrosion visible, condition of gear lube and whether there's water in it, condition of bellows, etc. Having said that, after sitting for 8 years, I'd recommend a bellows job. You may also want to have the prop pulled and shaft dialed in case there was an impact. Check that the trim works, and that it's reading on the gauge. You can't tell how she shifts until she is running but you should be able to tell how much effort it takes to shift at the helm. You should replace the lower shift cable when replacing the bellows. Inspect the gimbal ring for horizontal and vertical play ($$). Ensure the transom is structurally sound, particularly around the transom assembly, that would be part of a survey. And I wouldn't even attempt a sea trial without splitting the drive and replacing the impeller.

Regular maintenance on sterndrive applications is much more costly than inboards. While engine maintenance will be the same on both designs, the similarity in expenses ends there. Consider that after the engine, inboard application maintenance typically consists of a transmission fluid change every few years depending on use, and anodes. While strut bearings are considered a wear item, they can last for years depending on your boating habits and their environment. On the other hand, sterndrive maintenance requires annual bellows inspection and replacement every few years ($$), annual gear lube inspection and change, bigger corrosion concerns, lower shift cables fail easily, environmental concerns, and the list goes on.

One must also consider that seldom does sterndrive work ever end up matching an estimate. You can't estimate something you can't see. Only after you get into the work do things pop up that weren't apparent prior to dismantling. A simple example is a bellows job leading to a yoke and u-joint replacement or worse because of a bellows leak. A simple trim sender replacement leading to drilling and tapping new holes because the bolts broke off trying to get them out. Corrosion is terrible on drives and the results are costly.

Not trying to talk anyone out of a sterndrive application, there are a couple of benefits to them but one needs to know they are heavy maintenance items that must be considered in your overall annual boating budget.

Hope things work out in your favour. Keep us posted.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 29th, 2019, 5:55 pm

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post A 350 in a 26' boat would not make it a speed burner but if the engine runs well it should be adequate. Obviously a 454 would be better. I had a 26' Bayliner with a 350 and it would tickle 40 MPH at WOT.

I could be wrong but I've got a feeling the Carver the OP is asking about is a heavier built boat than the 26' Bayliner you had and probably won't hit 40 mph. Mid 30's at best with a light load and slow to get there.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 30th, 2019, 12:51 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post
RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post A 350 in a 26' boat would not make it a speed burner but if the engine runs well it should be adequate. Obviously a 454 would be better. I had a 26' Bayliner with a 350 and it would tickle 40 MPH at WOT.

I could be wrong but I've got a feeling the Carver the OP is asking about is a heavier built boat than the 26' Bayliner you had and probably won't hit 40 mph. Mid 30's at best with a light load and slow to get there.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I had a Bayliner 3055 Ciera prior to my Carver 3007 aft cabin. The Carver is a bigger boat than my Bayliner was. My Bayliner was 1200+ lbs heavier than the Carver. The Bayliner was an express and my Carver is a sedan. I was greatly surprised when I found out the Carver was a much lighter boat.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 30th, 2019, 5:24 am

Just for the heck of it I went to the NADA site to look at the specs of the Santa Cruz and the Bayliner 2655. You are correct the Carver is a bit heavier coming in at 5400 lbs to the Bayliner at 5175 according to the NADA site. That is assuming that it is a 2667 model Santa Cruz.

At that weight I would guess the top end would be in the low to mid 30's. Also I am even more surprised that my old 3055 Ciera outweighs my 3007 Carver.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”