Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Santego 310 - V drives

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Canada
Rayjs148
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Santego 310 - V drives

Postby Rayjs148 » August 7th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Hi All,
I am going to view a 1995 Santego 310 this weekend and looking for some advice on the v drive versions.
Engines are Crusader 350 EFI with v drive Hurth Transmissions and prop pockets. 700 Hours.
Any advice on what to look for? Are the V drives reliable and any issues i should be concerned with. Thanks

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Re: Santego 310 - V drives

Postby vineyardgray » August 7th, 2019, 10:34 pm

My 3867 Santego has Velvet Drive transmissions and Walter V drive units, which are pretty well respected workhorses if I understand correctly. Have a look once you're on the boat. Hurth doesn't sound right.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 8th, 2019, 9:18 am

Can't go wrong with the Crusader package. Parts are readily available. Whether Velvet, Hurth, or Walter, they're all very reliable. Given that v-drive layouts are typically harder to access some areas, check and see just how difficult it would be to access all areas of the engines and transmissions for servicing. Difficult access may not be so bad if you do all your own work but can make a huge difference on your boating budget if you hire others to do the work for you. Access applies to any hardware on the boat really. I've seen vacuum generators, hot water tanks, and air conditioners for example (not nessesarily Carver) that are simply impossible to get at and service without major dismantle of surrounding structures. Hopefully this application also has drip less shaft logs given the tight access to that area in this type of application. That'll minimize the amount of times someone has to get in there and contort themselves to service the logs.

See if you can get service records so you have an idea of how well she was maintained and I can't stress enough the importance of getting a survey done once you think she's the one.

Where's the boat and where would be your home port?

Hope it all works out well and keep us posted.

Topic author Canada
Rayjs148
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Rayjs148 » August 8th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Boat is in Orillia.
Thanks for the feedback ,going to view this Saturday.
The ad for this boat states it has prop pockets ,any thoughts on these?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Many manufacturers use prop pockets to keep the boats draft to a minimum. Its no big deal.
They are a bit less efficient than non pocketed boats and will have a bit less bite during low speed maneuvers such as docking, but like any boat, you will get used to the handling and operation.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » August 9th, 2019, 4:39 pm

If you decide to move forward towards a purchase a survey and sea trial are a must. Good luck.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Stephensilver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Santego 3067

Postby Stephensilver » March 14th, 2021, 7:51 am

The Santego 310 with crusader drives is my dream boat!! Should any of you decide that you want to sell yours please contact me ...

Cheers

Stephen Silver

819-592-7369

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”