Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New boat purchase

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: New boat purchase

Postby tomschauer » October 21st, 2019, 9:27 pm

How did you survey go? Did you buy the Silverton?
If so, keep in mind, you can own a Silverton and still be part of the forum.

Topic author United States of America
LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carved 38

Postby LateStarter » October 22nd, 2019, 10:11 am

The survey turned up some delamination, bent props and bent from tabs. The deck had some low to moderate moisture in the deck particularly around the endless that has to be addressed. The most troubling was the Car mechanic survey. It appears that the current owner,for at least the last 8 years does not appear to have done the Car recommended maintenance--zincs not serviceable, many I AM hoses that are not serviceable and before the mechanic could even start the pre-season trial work, he discovered that the port engine was very low on coolant. He had to add 3.5 gallons.
That being said the Sea trial itself went well with rpms,temp and oil pressure all at or close to the Car specs. The fluid analyses all came back clean except for elevated soot in the port engine. The mechanic verified all of the instrument readings with his own instruments, and feels that the engines have a lot of years left in them. He recommended a complete servicing of both engines including changing of all fluids and filters. He also recommended installing a Walker recovery system. Assuming that nothing else shows up once the work gets started, he gave me an estimate of $7,000. The boat survey recommended all new hoses and water lines for both heads.
He was very thorough and walked me through his exam while he did it.

I've adjusted my offer to cover owners negligence and we are negotiating the final price. I fully expected to have to put additional money in to make the boat "my own",
but I refuse to pay for someone else's deliberate negligence.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome, and even though it's a Silverton, I do intend to remain a member of this forum. It is by far the best that I've found. Oh that 405 at Galahad was being surveyed yesterday.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » October 22nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Finally came to terms and for better or worse, the Silverton 402 is mine! Seriously I
Think that is a good boat that needs some TLC. Closing is set for 11/2 and then I can start to make it my own. I do have a question for anyone who is located in the Upper Chesapeake Bay area or in the northeast in general:winter storage. I am going to leave the boat in the water at its current marina. They have a bubbling system around the slips to prevent ice formation, but my main question is regarding the type of winter cover. Shrink wrap will cost a little over $1000. I've talked to several boat owners in adjacent slips, and they use canvas covers. I am leaning towards this method because shrink wrap is only a one winter solution whereas canvas is reusable. Now I have to decide the type of cover: one that only covers the fly bridge and cockpit or a full boat cover. I'm going to get quotes on each. I want to protect the bow from ice and snow and prevent anymore delamination around the windless. That area already has some low water osmosis and I want to keep it from getting worse before I can address it in the spring. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Pictures to follow. Although not a Carver, it's a good looking boat with a spacious interior.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 22nd, 2019, 7:03 pm

Congratulations! :beergood: :down: :clap:

The Silverton's I have seen are nice looking boats.

If a shrink wrap is going to run you $1000 I would get a custom canvas made. Where I am there is a shop that does custom covers for around $4000 (and that's Canadian dollars) so that would make it a no brainer, really. The canvas guy said they last around 10 years if you store them properly.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » October 22nd, 2019, 9:22 pm

vineyardgray wrote:Source of the post Congratulations! :beergood: :down: :clap:
That's what I was thinking. The only thing that shrink wrap would do is but me some time, but at a waste of money.
The Silverton's I have seen are nice looking boats.

If a shrink wrap is going to run you $1000 I would get a custom canvas made. Where I am there is a shop that does custom covers for around $4000 (and that's Canadian dollars) so that would make it a no brainer, really. The canvas guy said they last around 10 years if you store them properly.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 23rd, 2019, 1:21 am

What marina are you in? If you are going to leave it in the water, do they have covered slips available? If so, you don't need to cover the boat.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » October 23rd, 2019, 2:51 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post What marina are you in? If you are going to leave it in the water, do they have covered slips available? If so, you don't need to cover the boat.

It's in the Bohemian Bay in Chesapeake City. Yes they have covered slips for the winter--at 2 1/2 times the cost of the open slip. I'm thinking of moving the boat to the Bush River Yacht Club next season because it's a shorter drive, but I have to look into winter storage up there before I make a decision.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 23rd, 2019, 7:23 pm

When I was very young my grandparents had there boat at BRYC. They really liked it. I do believe there is (or was) a bridge that limits boat height to access the club. Or maybe it was a draw bridge. It was a long time ago.
Just something you may want to verify.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 23rd, 2019, 7:30 pm

Also, if you are driving down from Hershey, you may want to try the drive during the normal hours / days you would be making your runs. If your a Friday late afternoon boat commuter, the western shore will take a lot longer to get to, even though the mileage may be less.
695 is often a parking lot until 7pm Friday.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » October 24th, 2019, 10:26 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Also, if you are driving down from Hershey, you may want to try the drive during the normal hours / days you would be making your runs. If your a Friday late afternoon boat commuter, the western shore will take a lot longer to get to, even though the mileage may be less.
695 is often a parking lot until 7pm Friday.

Actually, I started taking Pa 743 to US 283 to Lancaster and then take 72 and a number of back roads to Chesapeake Cjty. Today it took me around 2 hours both ways. There is a bridge that I cross just before I get to Chesapeake City, but it is very high so I don't think that it will be a problem. I'll be checking out the Bush River Yacht Club on Sunday. The dock fees are at Bush are significantly lower than Bohemian, but since I will be keeping the boat in the water over the winter ,Bohemian's bubbling system is a big plus. I'll have to see.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”