Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New boat purchase

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: New boat purchase

Postby buster53 » August 15th, 2019, 5:35 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post If he gave an ultimatum, im sure the marina owner told him to move his boat out of the marina.
Maybe make arrangements to look it over, and if it something you're interested in, call Tolchester and ask for a top end price to supply and install a 454 and deduct that from your offer.

I always liked the 38 santego, good luck!

My suggestion, do not take possession of that boat until the new engine is in and you have had a chance to survey and sea trial, with the new engine.
I don't mind asking for price concessions on minor issues I can take care of after purchase, but replacing an engine is a major issue and should not be done after the sale.

Topic author United States of America
LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carved 38

Postby LateStarter » August 15th, 2019, 7:30 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post
tomschauer wrote:Source of the post If he gave an ultimatum, im sure the marina owner told him to move his boat out of the marina.
Maybe make arrangements to look it over, and if it something you're interested in, call Tolchester and ask for a top end price to supply and install a 454 and deduct that from your offer.

I always liked the 38 santego, good luck!

My suggestion, do not take possession of that boat until the new engine is in and you have had a chance to survey and sea trial, with the new engine.
I don't mind asking for price concessions on minor issues I can take care of after purchase, but replacing an engine is a major issue and should not be done after the sale.

No way will i even have the survey done until the motor is installed, then I'll make an offer subject to the survey and sea trial.anything comes up with either, and I will have the option to walk away if seller doesn't correct or negotiate the price.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 15th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Did the owner happen to tell you how many hours on the other engine ?

A few years back I tried to buy one of these 38 Santego DC.....spent many, many hours doing my own pre survey and made an offer based on replacing both engines, with remote v drive rebuilds, as they were high hours and a little smokey at idle.....long, short they turned it down, but a few months later after we bought another boat they sold for what I had offered, go figure, the point , I'm not sure. That was one nice boat with the big windows, bridge and the bunk beds....lots of potential, it had the forward facing arch. I still regret that one.I can pretty much say where the trouble spots may be.

Some questions I had at the time is what got me to this forum, good journey so far.... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 15th, 2019, 8:47 pm

For the right price, I would buy a boat with a bad engine. That way I know the new engine is the correct engine and was installed correctly. Everything else can be checked other than how she runs on plane. If the existing engine runs, but has a knock, you should be able to do a full survey.
Again, the right price, were talking 20k +/- here not 100+

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » August 17th, 2019, 8:21 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Did the owner happen to tell you how many hours on the other engine ?

A few years back I tried to buy one of these 38 Santego DC.....spent many, many hours doing my own pre survey and made an offer based on replacing both engines, with remote v drive rebuilds, as they were high hours and a little smokey at idle.....long, short they turned it down, but a few months later after we bought another boat they sold for what I had offered, go figure, the point , I'm not sure. That was one nice boat with the big windows, bridge and the bunk beds....lots of potential, it had the forward facing arch. I still regret that one.I can pretty much say where the trouble spots may be.

Some questions I had at the time is what got me to this forum, good journey so far.... :down:

The other engine has 1000 hours. Supposed to see th a boat on Monday at Galahad marina. Thanks for the input.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » August 17th, 2019, 9:08 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post For the right price, I would buy a boat with a bad engine. That way I know the new engine is the correct engine and was installed correctly. Everything else can be checked other than how she runs on plane. If the existing engine runs, but has a knock, you should be able to do a full survey.
Again, the right price, were talking 20k +/- here not 100+

You're in the upper Chesapeake Bay area--do you know anything about how good East Coast Consulting, Havre Dr Grace is for boat surveys? Description on web site sounds impressive, computer engine diagnostics, thermal imaging, etc.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 17th, 2019, 9:48 am

Sorry, no, never heard of them.
The engines on that 38 wont have ecm's, so that part wont help you.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » August 18th, 2019, 10:35 am

LateStarter wrote:Source of the post
bud37 wrote:Source of the post Did the owner happen to tell you how many hours on the other engine ?

The other engine has 1000 hours. Supposed to see th a boat on Monday at Galahad marina. Thanks for the input.

What are the trouble spots that I should be in the lookout for. Outside of word of mouth, is there any way to see what similar boats have been selling for as opposed to the asking price?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 18th, 2019, 11:18 am

What are the trouble spots that I should be in the lookout for. Outside of word of mouth, is there any way to see what similar boats have been selling for as opposed to the asking price?

You can PM me if you want and I will fill you in on the areas I found on the ones I looked at. Your surveyor will / should find areas of concern.

Any broker that belongs has access to what any listed boats actually sold for ( not the listing price ) much like real estate.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » August 18th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Bucvalu.com is one place you can check. I think they give you consumer) a couple of free search’s before you have to pay. When I bought my Santego my surveyor checked the sold prices on yacht world and BUC for comparisons.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”