Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boat Bumpers

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
drmax
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 32

Boat Bumpers

Postby drmax » August 13th, 2019, 10:42 am

32 aft cabin. Girlfriend needs to replace some of those portable bumpers. Do you think a G5 would suffice, or need G6?
12000 lb boat in a slip being pushed around into these bumpers, makes me think a G6 is thicker in material? Dunno....
Let me know what you recommend so I need so I can order 4 of them. Thank you!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Boat Bumpers

Postby Cooler » August 13th, 2019, 11:55 am

DrM - depends on how much she likes the boat. G5 are absolute minimum, G6 would be better in terms of toughness and size. If you are totally comfortable with Polyform, G6 would be my recommendation. My vessel is similar size, little heavier. I use Taylor Made Super Guard 10.5" fenders. They are built tough, guaranteed for life, and I never worry about how they will handle a variety of marina docks. Our water levels are up and down frequently. My marina has adequate wood fender planks to keep the hull away, but my favorite destinations have rusty, corrugated bulk heads that present all kinds of scratching danger. One scratch can cost 10 times the difference in price very easily. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author United States of America
drmax
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 32

Postby drmax » August 13th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Cooler...I will look into what you have. So how often do you have to re-inflate these? That's why I was looking at the G5's. I'm thinking she'd only need the 8.5" type. I'll measure the holders that are on the bow only think they're 8". Of course she wants to protect her boat and loves it, but isn't always financially ready for some of these headaches. I'm thinking 4 would do (and she has a couple other older ones that are still holding) Life time warranty". Sounds to good to be true.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » August 19th, 2019, 11:22 am

DR - Re-inflate at beginning of season only if they need it. For what it is worth, they fit into the fender holders perfectly. You could actually get away with 3 Super Guards as they are made a lot stronger than the Polyform. I am retired, but I work part time at a marine store owned by some friends of mine. We use my boat as the test boat for products offered on the shelf. The Taylor Made are far superior in construction. Poly form is good, but more of an economy fender. Just squeeze test both brands. You will see better value in the Taylor Made. The warranty is Taylor Made standard for years. ( Caveat is you can't slice them with a knife just to get new fenders. ) Good luck.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”