Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

questions for 396 owners

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Mn car guy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner
7.4 Crusader Xl

questions for 396 owners

Postby Mn car guy » September 16th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Hi everyone,

We've owned a 98 Mariner for 6 years and have really enjoyed it but it's beginning to be move up time. I'm looking at two 396s ( 2000 and 2001). The 2000 has the 8.1 and the 2001 has the 7.4. Both boats are well maintained fresh water low hour boats. My questions are thoughts on the two engine options. Are there any common issues to be aware of on these boats (we'll do a survey if we wind up deciding to buy). What do you like most/least about your boats?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: questions for 396 owners

Postby buster53 » September 17th, 2019, 7:58 am

That is a lot of boat to be pushed around with gas engines. If you go gas, get the biggest ones you can find. I have 8.1's in my 356, putting out 385 hp ea. Very strong engine.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » September 17th, 2019, 9:25 am

I have a Carver 44 CMY and it has diesels, which is a 396 with a cockpit and it's heavier. I have typically seen the 396's with diesels, however they cost more to purchase than gas, even used. If you are going to go gas, I agree with buster53 and go bigger for the HP. I would have a look at the performance data for gas vs diesel in that boat. You want to make sure the 8.1's will give you the speeds and fuel consumption you're comfortable with. As far as the cost to operate, look at the difference between the cost of the gas powered boat vs the diesel. How much gas can you burn for the difference. Diesels are a lot more efficient than gas and have a lot more torque. Diesel would have a much better resale value as well. Just something to think about. Good luck with your purchase.

Greg

Topic author United States of America
Mn car guy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner
7.4 Crusader Xl

Postby Mn car guy » September 18th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Thanks guys. Diesels are rare up here on the river. While we boat a lot, we don't go terribly far and lots of times it's at hull speed. I'm also a half decent gas engine mechanic but would be lost on an oil burner. I'm used to the fuel burn of the incredibly efficient Mariner with 7.4s so I'm not to worried about fuel expense. If I was doing off shore or the loop, it would be a different story.

Are there any quirks to the 396 I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

United States of America
thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 396ES gas Crusader 8.1

Postby thatchh » July 7th, 2020, 7:13 pm

So did you end up buying one? I have a 2004 396 with 8.1's. It's thirsty, but runs well. If you bought one and have further questions, reply back and I'll try to answer some. I have discovered one quirk that might have been a non-starter if I had known about it when I bought the boat. Waves or wakes coming in toward the aft end while you are moored will make a big slapping or banging sound and shake the whole boat. It is very annoying in a windy or busy place. I am going to look into ways to mitigate it.

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 46 Voyager
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » July 7th, 2020, 7:55 pm

thatchh wrote:So did you end up buying one? I have a 2004 396 with 8.1's. It's thirsty, but runs well. If you bought one and have further questions, reply back and I'll try to answer some. I have discovered one quirk that might have been a non-starter if I had known about it when I bought the boat. Waves or wakes coming in toward the aft end while you are moored will make a big slapping or banging sound and shake the whole boat. It is very annoying in a windy or busy place. I am going to look into ways to mitigate it.

I previously owned a 2003 396 with the same engines. Loved the boat and the engines ran great, but your comment about what I called “Thunder Hole” made me respond. It was the single most irritating thing on that boat. I had owned it for 13 years before selling and moving into a larger boat (that thankfully does NOT have that issue).
We went everywhere with the boat and it satisfied many things (2 separated sleeping cabins-kids up front, is in the back, and many more. But I didn’t anchor out very often given the pounding it would always take. Mostly from marina to marina and even then had to always think about exposure to waves.
Anyway, I did see another 396 that had a custom made David which held a wave runner and the back end was lowered in the water preventing the issue. But I don’t think it was designed for that and never pursued that avenue.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 7th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Is this underneath the swim platform? Did you consider sticking a cheap inflatable under there and blowing it up while at your berth or on the hook?

Seems like someone could fab up some type of fiberglass baffle or compartment that you could attach under there as a permanent solution.

United States of America
thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 396ES gas Crusader 8.1

Postby thatchh » July 8th, 2020, 2:14 am

The inflatable is a good idea. I was hoping someone had already found a permanent solution that I could copy. I will post this question in a new post, just in case.
Thanks,
Thatch

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”