Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dinghy lift

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444 diesels

Re: Dinghy lift

Postby Pete » January 28th, 2020, 11:21 pm

kingstonal wrote:Source of the post i am supprise pete you never heard of seawise davits before, living on the west coast. we i boated out their, all i ever seen was seawise davits

Davits and dinghys are foreign to me, never needed one, never paid much attention. Went from a Zodiac at the age of 14 to a 16' Glastron then graduated to a 21' Wellcraft, to a 26.'5' Bayliner, to 36' Bayliner and now the 444. There's my story (in a nutshell).
2001 444
The best way to improve your memory is to do unforgettable things.

Canada
kingstonal
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kingstonal » January 29th, 2020, 10:05 am

Understand

United States of America
nautohm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Naut Ohm
1996 455 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Twin Cummins 6CTA 8.3 w/ ZF 301 transmissions

Postby nautohm » February 29th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Great info guys, thanks for all the suggestions and reviews.

I'm only dealing with 350lbs, 10-11' RIB w/ 15hp, and I often use my boat without the dinghy. I only need it when we go anchor for the weekend with the dog... So I want a system that leaves my platform clear when I don't need it.

I think the Dinghy Caddy is in the lead at the moment for me. Attaches to the platform with what looks like a Weaver snap-davit. I believe I could put the motor to the starboard side and use the stern cleat for the tackle. I need to see about the angle. The transom is quite large and flat, I can't imagine it would hold up to the point load of a dinghy bouncing in rough water. Perhaps right at the bend it would be strong enough, but I'd rather use a cleat on the hull. Much less force for the bow end, I think I could get away with a larger angle to the port stern cleat.

Second place is the Hurley H20, I just don't know how much weight I feel like hauling up. For years on my old boat I hauled my 110lb dinghy up on the davits by hand with a standoff on the transom, but ever since an eyelet on the dinghy broke when I was pulling with both hands, ouch, I need 1-handed operation so I have a hand for stability. I'm a big fan of block and tackle over electric winch.

My slip this upcoming season is a starboard tie, but it's a short finger so I'll have to drop the dinghy on the main before I back into the slip anyway. I'm hoping a different spot opens up which is a port side tie, but won't know for a while yet.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”