Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Diesel turbo

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Canada
rmoore
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 396 my

Diesel turbo

Postby rmoore » November 3rd, 2019, 8:24 am

I have small oil leak from turbo advised most likely a seal. Marina says they take off and send out for repair. Does this sound okay and what is expected cost for this procedure. Also advised waste gates broken. How would this happen? Advised this is about $200 per side

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Diesel turbo

Postby Viper » November 3rd, 2019, 9:07 am

Welcome aboard.

The cost is going to depend on the service provider and what they find when they open it up but the marina should be asking them some basic questions so they can at least give you some idea of what to expect providing they don't find major defects along the way. The causes of the failure vary and can be anything from the lack of regular maintenance and cleaning, poor quality or contaminated or old oil, too much oil, foreign matter and dirt, high temps, running conditions, etc. The wastegate may have failed first and caused a turbo overspeed condition which caused the seal to fail, though that usually happens at high rpm, hard to say...too many variables. A close inspection may reveal the cause. The good news is that it could have been a lot worse, it could have been a major turbo failure $$$.

What kind of engine are we talking about?

Topic author Canada
rmoore
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rmoore » November 3rd, 2019, 11:52 am

Thanks for your comment. They are Volvo diesels. 370 hp I think

Topic author Canada
rmoore
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rmoore » November 3rd, 2019, 11:56 am

I don't run at high rpm very often. Most cruising is 1250 to 1500 rpm. Once in a while give them a run which I am told is necessary. Engines never over heat. Have had the boat for 4 seasons. Engines have 2100 hours as first owner did the loop with it

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 3rd, 2019, 7:31 pm

Yes you should run her hard periodically. IMO not running her hard once in a while will contribute to a few undesirable conditions and may be one of the reasons for wastegate failure. They need to work!

Do you have an engine serial number handy that you can post?

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”