Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

406 aft cabin issues?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Cosauder1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Still looking, 40-43 ft range

406 aft cabin issues?

Postby Cosauder1 » January 11th, 2020, 5:27 pm

I’m looking at a 406 aft cabin next week. Any particular issues to look for?
Also, any intel on the Cummins t330 setup?

United States of America
Roccoa
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 406 Aft Cabin twin 370s

Re: 406 aft cabin issues?

Postby Roccoa » January 12th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I have a 2001 406 w/T370s. All these years, no real problems. Had the flybridge forward top brace reworked so that it extends about 2' forward, like a Portuguese , so more head room forward in first row and almost no rain coming in with izenglass rolled up. Also added forward splash rail diverters from bow to about 5 ft aft. Really throws spray out to sides instead up and on to froward areas. Allows more speed in rough weather with less plowing. The boat is heavy, over 27K and when fully loaded 30K so no speed races. 2400 rpms gets about 19-knots. Have 4 blades so a little more punch off line. Bow thruster is a great addition to have. Got a lot of sail area when forward and aft enclosures are fully up. Have surveyor check aft fuel tank. Some 406s were delivered with air breather too low to waterline and would suck up water into aft tank when underway in rough weather. Easy fix, but until remedied a problem when your tank got low on fuel and filled up separators with water cutting off engines. My trips are now shorter between marinas so emptied aft tank for over 700 lbs of weight off stern and only use saddle tanks. You won't notice much difference with running your 330s because 370s only really allow 200 more rpm at the top. Torque curves are almost the same until higher rpms. Engines are pretty much fool proof and with out all the new electronics, I believe, more dependable but nosier than new ones. Need to keep bottom cleaned since weight vs engines is a little against you. Make sure your engines had the 900 hrs maintenance. Costly. Never had any leaks or seeps anywhere, replaced few failed items, 2 bilge pumps, refrig, batteries(all 5), auto pilot rudder indicator, otherwise all other systems are original. Got rid of the standard engine raw water pumps and got Tony Athens Seamaxs. Greater flow, superior materials. Make sure the records show cleaning of aftercoolers and exchangers. Boat cooling system does not have much extra capacity, particularly in deep south summers. It's been a fine boat and compared to my many friends with different manufacturers, seems to be more reliable than theirs, especially considering how old it is..

Cosauder1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Cosauder1 » February 29th, 2020, 9:56 am

Thanks for the advice. That boat didn’t work out but all good info. Looking at a 356 next.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 29th, 2020, 6:37 pm

I have a 405 which is different year same boat. Not knocking a 355/356 but I think you may miss the extra room in the aft cabin,salon,sundeck and especially the engine room if you were drawn to the 406 size. Just my opinion.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Cosauder1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Cosauder1 » March 2nd, 2020, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the advice.